starting a sloped bed

Hello folks! It seems like everyone here is quite helpful and I have my own questions to ask. I have 3 slopes to transform in the next few years into flower beds. The slope is on the side of my septic bed. angle is about 45 degrees at worst, closer to a more gentle 30 at the easiest. I am planning to terrace it with stone (yes I need to haul lots of it from my woods behind me), but my question is more about kinds of plants that will tolerate the dryer conditions at the highest part of the garden slope. The lower half should be well watered often anyways, the top will be much drier. I live in Zone 4 roughly, south west of Ottawa, Ontario.

1 slope faces north east, 1 faces south east and one faces south west. My house is to the northwest. Picture it like a long rectangle out in front of my house, with the house on one of the short sides. (does that help?) anyways, its plant suggestions I am seeking. I know a few things I like and want to fit in (bleeding heart, iris, peony, poppy, some spring and summer bulbs), and I don't want things that are too invasive. My problem is I am not too familiar with the different kinds of plants that are out there. I am partial to herbs, would they survive? Do the soaker hoses work well enough for this kind of application? (sorry, separate question) Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!! This is for the planning stage this winter, to start working on next spring, and start planting then too. Jenny
Reply to
Jenny

Herbs would be excellent. If you want plants that are tolerant of dry conditions look for plants with silver or gray color leaves. Lavender, sage, artemisia, etc. are the type of plants that would like that type of planting. Ornamental grasses would work and give a different texture, color and movement. Succulents (sedum of all varieties) do well in dry conditions. I think some bearded irises would work (they do not like wet feet) but I'm not sure (I remember them growing well in Southern California which is far dryer than you are).

Reply to
dkat