Awful Quite, What's Everyone Up To?

Myself, I'm busy with building a fence for the hounds so they have an outside run area during the day instead of hanging out in the house.

Got pics up at

if anyone is bored.

Currently working on how to build and hang the gates. I've got one gate done, kicking back and forth the best way to attach its sister to the right which will be bolted to a brick wall.

Pretty well set on using those plastic punch anchors that expand when you screw a bolt into them, set into the mortar of the brick to ensure a strong grip on the bricks with very little chance of brick fracture.

So what about you all? Anything fun?

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Scott Hildenbrand wrote in news:Y3SVi.12832$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

ooh. fancy. my dogs just have electric fence... no, not that stupid invisible stuff, just electric fence set at 1', 2', &

4'. that pretty much discourages the chickens from going into the dog's areas & keeps the dogs where they belong. i used to let them run in the pasture, but i got a pair of nanny goats & they beat the snot out of my Malamute (he's very non-dominant), so he has his own yard now. sometimes my Great Pyr/Border Collie cross goes out with him, but they don't really like each other much (the GP/BC is older & the Mal is too active for his taste). the goats don't bother the GP/BC for some reason. my current project is brushing out the llamas before it gets too wintery. Juni was easy, only 2 hours, but she's all short hairs. i spent 3 hours on Sally yesterday & she still has some mats in her undercoat. i let her go after 3 hours though. i didn't really want to try her (seemingly infinite) patience. llamas don't like much handling. today is Russian's turn. he's dumb as a rock & a horrible mess. he's been rolling in pine, so he's probably all pitch & sticks :p lee
Reply to
enigma

Scott Hildenbrand expounded:

Cleaning up the gardens, planting garlic (finally!), and I've got tulips to get into the ground. Other than that I've busied myself in the house organizing things, they do tend to get out of control over the gardening season

Nice dog run! I'll be busy getting a chicken coop up for next spring, that's the big project for this fall.

Reply to
Ann

I'm out harvesting the deer that got fat sponging off our gardens all summer ;)

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Hard work, but fun too. I have been replacing walkways in my garden, which have been there for about 20 years. Cheap pavers that "made do" Am replacing them with ones that are a little more attractive. One path is what I call the :crazy quilt" style: a combo of several different pavers in different sizes along with a number of very old brick that I have found here and there. It's like doing a jigsaw puzzle with different sized pieces and a few pieces missing. I finished it today. Looks good. Also cutting some shrubs back so DH can run them thru the chipper/ shredder for next spring's mulch. I'm enjoing the roses; they are going nuts with this weather (days

70-80 and nights 40 -50) They love it! Hot Cocoa and Daybreaker are over 6 feet now and covered with blooms. Knockout has so many flowers it is difficult to see leaves!! Bought a new shrub at the nursery 40% off sale: Elderberry 'Black Beauty'. Planting pansies/violas for winter color, and a few winter vegies, too. Oh, and put out a few cyclamen, too. Gorgeous colors.... Raking a few leaves; they are just beginning to fall.

We are taking a day off from work and going on a fall color drive to the Coast Range and small valleys to the west of us. It is like going back in time about 250 years, to early California. Beautiful country. Will take a lunch and maybe hike a bit.

Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

Hey Lee, you going spin that wool? I'll take some roving for felting! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I need to finish edging around the witch hazel - maybe tomorrow or Sunday. Today is out.

Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C34F5A7F.84F71% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

i don't have it in roving. i can sort of make it into batts... it's a bit long stapled for my carder! i have a large cement mixing tub of a nice red off of Perl in the wood room. i can probably get some usable white off of Cisco when i get to him too. he's a dilute Appy though, so there will be some red mixed in. this stuff felts great though! lee

Reply to
enigma

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Today I got almost all of my bulbs in, I've still got some alliums left to plant. Had to come in and eat before Pilates. If I only had one more hour.....

What do you all think about moving a rose at this time of year? I thought it died, but there's life in it, and I want to move it away from the road, I think that's what's killing it. Either I move it or it's dead next spring - think I should go for it?

Reply to
Ann

Ann: Sounds nice.. I've seen some patios done with a mish mash of "found" materials, made up of bricks, pavers, slabs and etc.. Makes for a unique look.

Cheryl: I'd looked at witch hazel before. Seems like a cool plant.. Though, it doesn't work in zone 6 from what I've seen, does it?

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

I'd looked at Witch Hazel before, but it doesn't work well in zone 6b, does it?

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Paths sound nice.. I'd seen a few patios made out of "found" material.. Bricks from here and there, pavers, slabs, etc.. Makes for a unique look.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Whoops... Never mind, that was Chinese Witch Hazel I was thinking about.. Now that I've looked back into it again, see Witch Hazel is good to zone 3.. ;)

When does it start blooming for you?

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Can't see why it wouldn't

's a plain old yellow, but there are reds and orange flowered ones too.

Cheryl Isaak

I'd like some if you won't use/sell it all..

Do you use the beans (from the hind end) straight in the garden or compost them some first? Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C350748A.84FFE% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

ok. i tend to hand it out whenever i can. i really should practice my spinning, but i get off on tangents (like deciding i need to paint the whole interior of this place... know anything that'll strip milk paint?)

the beans need to be at least run through a shredder before use. straight beans in the garden will be beans for years... i tried that. the shredded ones break down & make great fertilizer. they're not "hot" so they don't need composting. lee

Reply to
enigma

Cool!

I know that problem

Ammonia is the only thing that removes old milk paint, sometimes found on antiques. It is very effective, but the fumes are very strong; it should never be used without a breathing mask or, preferably, a respirator. Ammonia also darkens wood; fumed oak has been ammonia-treated. If you must use ammonia, work outside, and keep children and pets away. Rub the ammonia on and the finish off with medium-grade steel wool. (from

I was told to soak them for several weeks in open buckets. Sort of did the job. I've dug them in too or added them to the compost bins.

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak