Spring and autumn clematis

Has anyone ever grown a summer clematis and an autumn clematis on the same trellis? I was wondering if each could hold it's own or if the autumn clematis would be too over-powering.

Reply to
euclid69

Give it a shot! I've lost so many plants due to stupid mistakes that I can't remember the particulars. . What bothers me is the chance of an early failure led me to believe that/those plants won't work in my micro-climate and a small chance for beauty was lost.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

I have never heard of Clematis described as Summer or Autumn but it should not be a problem.

Reply to
Travis

"Travis" wrote in news:E8jse.13657$9a1.7042@trnddc01:

Sweetautumn Clematis (Clematis maximowicziana) is *extremely* vigorous and would certainly choke out a more placid named cultivar.

Reply to
David Bockman

David Bockman wrote in news:Xns9677B7D181B3Ddavidbeyondgardening@199.45.49.11:

Pardon that error-- Sweetautumn Clematis is Clematis terniflora, not maximowicziana.

Reply to
David Bockman

I have five different varieties growing on the same lattice. I use the heavy duty lattice made of plastic (white). I added a frame to connect the two 4' x 8' sheets together and connected to a utility pole. I have my most vigorous summer and autumn plants at the opposite ends and they do fine. Between Chicago and Milwaukee. Paul

Reply to
Paul Paulsen

Most of my trellis's have at least two. I try to get an early flowering and a late flowering on the same one. but of course that doesn't always work when I lose the tags! Other than that I try to get a pink with purple or variations of. I think to date I have 30 different clematis. Currently 10 are in bloom.

Zone 5b

Reply to
Dana Schultz