Sleepy Sabal Palm

Last May I planted 2 Sabal Palms in my yard in the Tampa Bay area (We're in zone 9B). The palms were planted by a reputable vendor with a money back guarantee. The tops of the trees were pruned severely. The trees are approximately 5 feet apart. One tree is 12' and the other is 8'.

I dutifully followed the water directions (heavy the first couple of months). The taller tree produced leaves and seems to be fine. It's been 4 months now and the smaller tree looks the same as the day it was planted. It appears not to being growing (but it's still green). I called the vendor and they didn't seem worried and suggested some palm fertilizer. That seemed to have no effect.

One tiny detail -- while working in the yard one day about a month after the tree was planted, I sprayed some Round-up on a weed near the problem palm. Approximately 1 tbs (diluted) fell into the soil very near its roots.

Do you think the Round up hurt the tree? Fatally? Is this slow rate of growth normal for sabal palms that have been transplanted?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
CardioActive

Hi, The palms were pruned to eliminate transpiration. The trees usually have enough stored energy to re-root and grow (in the 90+ percentile IIRC). The fact that you bought it from a reputable vendor should ease your mind. The Roundup would not have hurt this tree as it must enter plants through green/red parts and not the trunk. This is NOT a Roundup recommendation but to ease your mind some more. Personally would not fertilize until new growth appeared. HTH -_- how no NEWS is good

Reply to
how