Sick Lilac

Hi - I bought a 3' Lilac that was (and is) afflicted with mildew and blight. It has been in my yard for a few months now. About 5% of the leaves are totally fine, 80% have mildew and the others (and some of the mildew ones) have blight. There are some new suckers coming up. Should I remove all leaves that have blight/mildew or both? If I remove all sick leaves, the plant will have maybe 5 leaves on it. Should I not worry about it as they will fall off over winter and it will be better next year? thanks!

Reply to
mwieder

I am by no means an expert on lilacs, but I do have one growing. The leaves are going to die and fall off very soon anyways (depends on where you live). I would just clean up the dead leaves around the plant and next year keep a close eye on it. I think it will be fine, but like I said I am no expert.

Reply to
Lynn

Mildew on lilacs is par for the course. It's good to clean up dropped leaves, spray with a fungicide, apply real (hydrated lime, not pulverized limestone), lots of sunshine and remove a third of the oldest shoots every year after they bloom.

Reply to
Stubby

Ah, I'm not real knowledgable about this but don't suckers drain strength and stamina from the main plant -- especially if it is sick? Shouldn't they be snipped off so the plant can concentrate on sending nourishment to the main tree?

Reply to
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supp