Re-use Aluminum siding.

I'm about to remove the aluminum siding from my newly-purchased house and, pretty much simultaneously, create a new vegetable garden. Rather than toss all the old siding and buy and treat new wood for the raised beds, is it possible to use the siding as raised bed structures. Possibly doubling up the runs for increassed rigidity?

Cx

Reply to
Cx

That is what I did with 3 of my old beds. It lasts forever, of course, but here are some disadvantages. First, I did not bury the bottom, but you should. That way grass rhizomes will not be able to push in and invade the beds. I suggest burying them 3 inches.

Second, I was going to use no-till in my garden, and it works very well, except that clearing radicchios and their immense taproots takes a lot of digging. With sides that are not so rigid, they bend outward a bit more every year. Third, when I come in with my wheelbarrow full of manure and I dump it into a bed I will occasionally bend a side. The last two problems can be minimized with double runs, as you say, and also by planting stakes on the outside. I used old piping to make the stakes. They help, but I did not put enough of them, and of course they catch the hose all too often. All in all these are fairly minor problems, go ahead and reuse that siding.

Reply to
simy1