Re: Pistachios?

> Unless you live in a Mediterranean climate, forget about pistachios. > >

> > You could grow them in a greenhouse, but they won't make it outside. > > > > The world's leading producers are California and Iran; that should tell > you > > a lot about the tree's requirements. > > New Zealand is another. > > From what I've read they're pretty forgiving on climate. Have you ever > tried growing them outside in other climates? >

They won't survive outdoors if their roots freeze. If the soil freezes where you live, pistachio trees will almost certainly be killed.

BTW, you will need both male and female trees to produce nuts. It also takes several years for them to bear.

Buy a few trees and try them, but I wouldn't be too optimistic, unless you've got someplace to bring them in for the winter.

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

Try > for info on growing pistachios.

They sell trees and budwood.

I'm afraid what they say will not be encouraging .

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

Urk...what a brain freeze. I was thinking macadamias, not pistachios. Sheesh.

Tracey

Reply to
Tracey