Re: Cub Cadet push mower reliability?

Now that I've useed this mower for the first time, a few more comments

> (much too early to say anything about reliability, other than to note > that this mower has more plastic parts than my old mower, including a > baffle plate under the mower deck, and the entire top cover of the > engine including the starter recoil cover - these might be easier to > break by hitting objects than the metal parts on my old mower (I get > pine cones on my lawn that could be forced into the baffle plate, and > tree limbs or my rail fence could hit the starter recoil cover). > > The 6.5 HP engine is a big help, it mows through heavy grass much more > easily than my old mower (of course the new, sharp blade helps). > > The speed control of the drive system has a higher top speed than my old > mower, which I like, but the speed control doesn't hold speeds as well > on hills, the mower will slow down a bit on uphills, and speed way up on > downhills, with the drive engaged. My old Snapper would maintain a > steady speed up and down hills, and I could use the drive to hold the > mower back to a safe speed going downhill, but this doesn't work with > the Cub Cadet's drive system. Also, the differential on my Snapper > seemed to handle turns a bit better than the ratchets in the wheels of > the Cub Cadet. > > Gary wrote: > >> I just bought a SR621 yesterday. I haven't even mowed with it yet, >> but now that I've got it home and looked it over more closely, I can >> make the following comments (comparing it with the 19 1/2 year old >> Snapper self-propelled mower it's replacing): >> >> The one thing I've found that I'm most dissatisfied with is the >> location of the oil drain plug (I've always changed oil myself). I >> think I'm going to have to look into some kind of pump to pull the old >> oil out through the fill tube, the plug location is that bad. There's >> a space in the casting on the side of the engine for a plug, but >> there's no plug there (this happens to be right behind where the speed >> control cable goes through the deck, so a plug wouldn't be accessible >> there anyway). The plug is on the bottom of the engine, beneath the >> mower deck (as was my Snapper), but unlike the old Snapper, the Cub >> Cadet has a baffle plate and the bracket for the drive pulley both in >> the way of accessing the drain plug. To remove the baffle plate you >> first have to remove the blade, then the baffle plate can be pivoted >> back by removing three screws (to remove the plate completely you have >> to remove 2 more screws but getting at these would require removing >> the rear wheels). I'm not sure just pivoting the plate would allow >> the mower to be turned right side up for draining oil unless I put it >> up on sawhorses or something high to allow the plate to hang down with >> the mower level. It would be best I think to also remove the drive >> pulley bracket for better access and to avoid getting drain oil all >> over the belt and pulley/bracket assembly. The manual describes the >> process for removing the bracket (for changing the belt), which >> includes unbolting the transmission from the rear of the deck (I think >> just to get more slack in the belt). The manual actually does say to >> remove the drain plug to change the oil (and simply says to remove it, >> it doesn't say how to reach it), so I can't believe they made access >> so difficult. Like I said, I think I'm going to have to look for some >> kind of pump to pull the old oil out through the fill tube. >> >> Cut Cadet these days is made by MTD, the same maker who makes other >> cheap mowers (the've also bought out several other makers like Troy >> Bilt and Bolens - just look at
to see how >> many brands they make). It's not clear how much of the quality of the >> old Cub Cadets has carried over, I'm sure they've cheapened things up >> at least somewhat. My brother has an old Cub Cadet made when Cub >> Cadet was owned by International Harvester, and that tractor is built >> like a tank. >> >> The mower does have some nice features compared with my old mower (I >> purposely avoided the SRC621 because I thought the caster wheel >> brackets would snag on shrubs and things). BTW, the caster wheels can >> be allowed to pivot or locked in place. Otherwise, this mower seems >> better than my old Snapper about this, my old mower had parts like >> throttle and spark plug cable in bad locations that would catch on >> passing shrubs and tree limbs. The Cub Cadet has no throttle or choke >> control at all (my old mower had both a primer bulb and a choke). >> This seems to be somewhat common on newer mowers I guess. I could >> control the engine speed on my old mower, but not this one. >> >> My old mower was only 3.5 HP, and was underpowered for tall grass, so >> I'm hoping that this mower will do better in that department. >> >> My old mower had a heavier blade than this one (still had the original >> blade after over 19 years, with only sharpening ever required). I >> wonder if this new blade will hold up as well, including abuse from >> things like roots I occcasinally clobber - the old one never bent. >> >> When I got mine Snapper was known for its excellent disc drive system, >> and from the looks of it the Cub Cadet's isn't the same quality. >> Maybe OK, and maybe better than front wheel drive, and maybe it >> compares OK with other mowers, but it's still not built as solid and >> the speed control may not be as good as my old Snapper. Since I >> haven't even mowed with the Cub Cadet yet I'm not sure what the range >> of speeds is (my Snapper's highest speed wasn't quite as fast as I >> would have liked). I really liked the rear wheel drive on my old >> mower, and I wanted rear wheel drive in a new mower, so that had a lot >> to do with my choosing this one. >> >> What finally made me decide to replace the Snapper was a broken rear >> wheel (plastic), that didn't appear to be easily replaced (I had >> previously replaced both front wheels, probably they broke from having >> been run into trees etc., but those were available off the shelf and >> simply slipped onto the axle and were held in place by a nut, the >> driven rear wheel is a special part I think). Besides, the Snapper >> was getting so it burned too much oil, and I'd fixed a number of other >> problems with it too, and several other plastic parts were cracked, so >> I decided maybe it was time for a new one. Maybe I should have looked >> for a new Snapper, I think their new mowers are still similar to mine, >> but the dealer where I bought mine has gone out of business and I >> didn't try to locate another. >> >> >> Greg S. Ragsdale wrote: >> >>> I'm looking to purchase a new push (walk-behind) mower and I'm >>> thinking about the Cub Cadet SR or SRC 621. I have always had great >>> results w/ Cub Cadet tractors, but I've never used the walk-behinds. >>> How reliable over time is the kawasaki engine? Are these good mowers, >>> or should I be looking at something else. Currently I have a Toro >>> that I hate because it's not powerful enough for my thick lawn. So >>> I'm donating it to a friend who just bought her first house. >>> >>> Any comments on the Cub Cadets? Does anyone have the model w/ the >>> front caster wheels? Are those better/worse than normal fixed-mount >>> wheels? >>> >>> Any help would be appreciated. >>> >>> TIA, >>> >>> Greg >> >> >> >> > >
Reply to
Gary

Gary...

If you're going to subject your mower to falling limbs, fence rails, and mowing over roots that will get hit by as blade 3½" off the ground, I don't know you should've bought any homeowner mower that I've seen. I've looked at Hondas, Deere, Cub Cadet, and quite a few others this week, and generally speaking, if you're spending under $600 the build quality seems to be pretty much the same, and there's plenty of plastic parts being used on all brands.

You might want to sell that Cub Cadet and spring for a $1200 commercial mower with an aluminum or magnesium deck and a direct-drive system. If you need it to be self-propelled, other than a Skag-Sulky type, I don't know if there's a good self-propelled commercial 21" cut mower.

The first thing you might want to do though is walk around your property with a double-action pruner and cut out any roots sticking above the ground. If they are too big to cut without damaging the tree/shrub (?) than why not do a little grading? Having roots popping up that high in your lawn would not only look pretty ugly, but it sounds like someone could trip and break a leg!

I was over a friend's house yesterday morning and watched him mow his lawn with his John Deere. He has the JS63C (I believe) which is a

3-speed self-propelled with caster wheels on the front. He bought it at the BORG for around $400 because it was the last one and they decided not to carry Deere walk-behinds any longer. It's pretty similar to the caster-wheeled Honda and Cub Cadet models I saw at HD and Lowes. After wheeling the thing around myself, I found the casters to be pretty neat around shrub beds. You do have a little learning curve with the turns though as you really have to push the handle sideways to use those casters to their fullest. I like a caster mower, even though it takes up another 10" of length it seems.

FWIW, ePinions has some pretty positive reviews on the SRC621 Cub Cadet. Didn't see one complaint about the oil drain issue though I'm sure you're right. I guess a lot of people are just dropping them off at the lawn shop and having them serviced, although I wondered if you could simply cut a hole in the plastic right where the drain plug is and make it that much easier to get at it?

Mike

Reply to
drgrafix

Gary...

I can relate to the problem of the roots because not two weeks ago, I decided that if I was going to start mowing (myself) again, I wanted a clean and clear path for me and the mower. I have one section of my lawn that runs thru two shrub beds and ay the narrowest point it's about 6 feet. Roots from trees and shrubs had been bulging out in this area for some time, and for whatever reason, the grass didn't seem to grow well there either.

So I practiced what I preached... went in and dug around the roots from edge to edge, and cut them back maybe 6" from either side, then added a few wheelbarrows of topsoil mixed with seed, and yup... I already have grass thick enough to mow!

We generally prune everything back above the ground so we can see the edge of the shrub beds, and dress them every other year with chips and mulch. So the casters wouldn't snag in my case.

Right now it's a toss up between a Honda at HD or the Cadet at Lowes. The cadet is a bit cheaper, and I might be able to get a discount at Lowes on a floor model. Have to see about that today or tomorrow. BTW, are you mulching or catching clippings? Just wondered if you liked the mulching as much as the people in ePinions.

Mike

Reply to
drgrafix

< Snip >

Now that I've had this mower for a few weeks, I have to say that I love it. I was a little disappointed with some of the plastic parts, such as the plastic wing nuts that allow you to interchange the bag/side discharge, but that was easily remedied by a quick trip to the hardware store. Otherwise, it's much better than my old Toro, though I do have to admit the caster wheels took a little getting used to. I don't have the tree root problem, or much of that nature, as my land is fairly new...the only thing I hit on occassion is a sod staple left over from last year's grass installation. That just dings up the blade.

Time will tell on the reliability of it overall, but it seems pretty solid, other than the cheaped out plastic parts in places that I wouldn't put them. But then again, I'm used to a 1979 Cub Cadet 149 rider that still runs like brand new, so I'm a bit spoiled.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. It helped alot.

Greg

Reply to
Greg S. Ragsdale

snipped-for-privacy@hotpotato.com wrote: > Gary... >

I have put some fill over the roots, but they eventually come back (some trees like my maples like to grow roots on the surface. Also, another concern of mine besides the roots is pine cones, which I pick up but sometimes I miss some. With my old Snapper, these have wedged between the blade tip and the deck, going round and round until usually the engine stalled from the drag. The Cub Cadet has a similar 360 degree close clearance from the blade tip to the deck, but the rear part of this on the Cub Cadet is the plastic baffle which is only a fraction of an inch from the blade. I'm afraid if a pine cone gets jammed between the blade and that baffle the baffle isn't going to fare so well.

I trim my shrubs every year but still they've overgrown my edging, trimming too much at this point would leave no foliage on the sides. I suppose I could move the edging. Without the overhanging shrubs and sidehills I might have chosen the casters.

I'm mulching, and it does a very good job at that, even in taller grass the clippings just disappear. The 6.5 HP engine has plenty of power for mulching (which I think requires additional power to chop the clippings more finely). I haven't tried side discharge or bagging yet (I usually bag only in the fall to vacuum up what leaves I miss while raking).

If you don't mind taking the mower in for oil changes or getting a pump to change from above (probably easier that way anyway, actually) then it's otherwise a pretty good mower. Not too loud, the only other minor wish is that it held its speed a bit better on hills. Time will tell whether the plastic parts (and even my 19 old Snapper had plastic parts

- rear guard and side dischare chute - that had cracked) hold up well. The one I'm most concerned about is plastic under the mower deck, this seems like it could be easily damaged if I ever run over any hard objects.

One of my main reasons for choosing it is that it I wanted rear wheel drive and there aren't that many models with this. I also wanted plenty of power after my underpowered previous mower.

If you get a floor model be sure it's not damaged, for example drive speed is supposed to be adjusted only with the engine running but most likely people have yanked on the levers on the display model anyway.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Strait