Re: cat problem ....PLEASE HELP !!??

I have heard that sinking plastic forks handle first around our garden will work. Make sure the tines are up. Sounds like it might work if you put enough of them in there. Good Luck Anna

Reply to
Anna

More than likely your community has ordinances regarding loose pets, especially stray dogs & cats. If I were in the same boat, I'd purchase (or rent?) a "live trap" and catch the pesty felines with a bunch of canned tuna. Then after trapping them, I'd take them to the local humane shelter as a "stray" cat. Your neighbors will soon be catless.

Skyhooks hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

"reply to" address munged -- read line above for correct addy.

not happy wrote:

Reply to
Skyhooks

Many are extoling the efficacy of cocoa shell to control stray cats. It is very harmful to dogs though. Do a google search.

Fito

Reply to
Fito

When this problem came up "Yet again" on uk.rec.gardening One very good idea was to put in a small sand pit/box about 3 or 4 ft square for the cats to use, they will go to it rather than the soil as long as it is kept clean. You could suggest this to your neighbour, otherwise put on in in your garden where the cats will find it easily, whilst you will still have mess to clear, it will be in one place and they wont be damaging the rest of the garden.

Reply to
David Hill

Reply to
Phisherman

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH spring comes and fresh problems with cat turds. College must almost be out for the semester..............

Reply to
madgardener

Yeah, I would say either use a motion sensor on your sprinklers or do the sandbox thing. Or report your neighbors to the local animal control office.

Problem is, every morning we go outside & have to shovel up several fresh cat turds. The woman next door has about half a dozen of the little vermin ..... & being as her garden ( our our neighbour on the OTHER side) is completely concreted over ..... her pests use our soil as a kitty litter.

We have high walls ( 6ft) all around & I've even gone to the trouble of coating them with an oily, black "non-drying" paint, knowing what vain creatures cat's are ... but still they get in, somehow.

I've tried the various pellets, sprays & gels .... at some cost AND all to no avail. I searched on the 'net & have seen a "cat-scarer" ( emits high frequency noise, triggered by a P.I.R. sensor ) ..... it seems a bit expensive, but I wondered if anyone else (here) may have one & can recommend it as money well spent ?

...... seriously, now, considering getting an air-rifle & sitting up all night waiting to shoot the little b*stards !

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers !

Reply to
styxx374

Skyhooks wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uiuc.edu:

have a good time in Hello

Salty Thumb

I might try laying down some chicken wire over the preferred places as an experiment.......

Not very auspicious a thing to say or feel lucky about. Oh well.

Reply to
escapee

Call animal control. You are making this YOUR problem, your neighbors chose to keep these cats, make it the neighbor's problem.

Reply to
McQualude

When I moved into my house, the "gardens" were covered with a layer of lava rock. It was not a deterrent for the cats. They'd just do their business right on top. I live in a culdesac. I don't have any roaming pets, but between all the nieghbors, I've counted about ten cats outside and a few dogs. What's funny is the cats don't bother the birds, and the dogs don't bother the cats, but boy, it's funny to see the cats and squirrels chase each other around over fences and up trees.

Reply to
tmtresh

Absolutely the best solution  -  IF they'll come for cats. The suggestion to rent or purchase a live trap would be good either way. Animal wardens may take a cat, but i doubt they would be willing to chase one. Trap 'em or kill 'em.    Either way, your problem is quickly solved. More cats will take their place eventually, but perhaps the thoughtless owners will catch on and stop treating the whole neighborhood to their pet droppings.

Have you approached your neighbors about the problem? You could be totally juvenile and start phoning them throughout the night asking if they know where their stinking cats are.

Reply to
Blues Ma

I've seen just about every solution proposed that doesn't involve talking to the stupid cat person first. Not saying it will work, just saying that should be the first thing. The cats shouldn't be outside.

Reply to
David Kotschessa

Firstly, a MASSIVE thanks to all of you that replied to my post, trying to help us ( me & my, now, FRANTIC garden-loving & cat-hating wife !).

Unfortunately, the woman next door is an Indian immigrant , with a hell of a lot of cats ! Whenever I've raised issues before ( her noisy, fatherless kids etc...) she screams that she'll contact "The Race Relations Council".

She wouldn't listen to any reasoned complaint that I've had before, so it seems pointless that I approach her about her cats ...... here in the UK, if you are British .... then you are a second-class citizen .... behind anyone that can get here, hiding in the back of a truck, to claim welfare. Thank you Mr. Phoney Blair. Anyway, that's beside my point.

I've, today, bought several rolls of *chicken-wire* & lengths of wooden pole ( now screwed to our, already high, wall). After finishing work I spent, today, almost 5 hours in the garden, making sure that any cat that wants to shit in our garden must now ...

a) not be afraid of heights ( & able to climb 6 foot of chicken-wire), as well as a 7-foot wall.

b) be able to pole-vault OUT of our garden, after jumping in

c) be prepared to be stranded in our garden, until I see it the next morning, be decapitated & then thrown into our dustbin ( *trashcan* in America ?)

Thanks for your advice,

PS. Cocoa Shells & Pepper are BRILLIANT ideas .... I checked on google. Unfortunately, they're expensive & only temporary solutions. You have to keep renewing the cocoa & pepper.

I reckon that my idea is better & much more economical. The cat-owning neighbours have to keep renewing their deceased cats.

Reply to
not happy

Skyhooks,

Although I like cats & dogs ...... I DETEST SMELLY, PLANT KILLING, CAT SHIT .. all over our newly turned soil, on a DAILY basis & I would have no remorse/regrets about trapping & killing the fouling vermin.

However, unfortunately, here in England ....... animals have MORE *rights* than human beings !

Thanks anyway.

Addendum .... Bush victory .... & somebody PLEASE asassinate Phoney Blair .... PLEASE !!

Let's see a victory for RIGHT minded people. ( Ooops ! .... off-topic ?)

We're quite willing to share all the Iraqi oil with the USA ..... but we do NOT need a d*****ad, illegal-immigrant loving, liberal, communist like Tony Bliar . That's B.L.I.A.R.

Intelligent .. ? Check out

not happy

Meaning what ?

I went to college , over 20 years ago ......... what the f*ck is a "semester" ?

BTW .... greetings to all, from South Yorkshire.

Reply to
not happy

"not happy" wrote in news:40abda65 snipped-for-privacy@news.athenanews.com:

Funny how yokels that whine about human rights have no concept of human responsibilities.

If you want Tony Blair assassinated, why don't you do it yourself? No need to beggar God to do your dirty work for you.

Cat shit is God's way of saying "You're not very special to me anymore"

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Ok, just wanted to make sure that avenue had been exhausted before getting into solutions that involve potentially harming the cats. I am a cat person, so don't take this the wrong way, but I really feel worst for the cats. It sucks that they have such a stupid owner.

Reply to
David Kotschessa

"David Hill" in news:c8e3ih$fti$ snipped-for-privacy@news5.svr.pol.co.uk:

and gradually move the box closer and closer to the offices of your local animal control agency :-)

whilst you will still have

i've heard of ant lions that build funnel traps in sandy soil. are there also cat lions? :-)

Reply to
Gardñ