HELP !!!! CATS USING GARDEN AS THEIR LITTER BOX

Is there a safe and natural way to keep cats from using my nice never walked on garden beds as a litter box ? I have tried hot pepper flakes and ammonia without success. This is becoming a large problem. Especially when your yard begins to smell of cat urine and feces. It is a small yard in suburban Long Island. Any help would be appreciated as I would like the cats to never be in my yard ... Thanks in advance ...

Reply to
Jimmy Egan

Is there a safe and natural way to keep cats from using my nice never walked on garden beds as a litter box ? I have tried hot pepper flakes and ammonia without success. This is becoming a large problem. Especially when your yard begins to smell of cat urine and feces. It is a small yard in suburban Long Island. Any help would be appreciated as I would like the cats to never be in my yard ... Thanks in advance ...

Reply to
Jimmy Egan

Victor #4 traps on eBay. Or a simple snare. Around here they would be eaten by coyotes and I'm only about forty miles north of Long Island.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

And this act would buy you a limo trip with a Police Officer chauffeur with the addition of some very nice silver bracelets, in my town. If this is the choice someone makes they need to make sure it's a legal choice, here it is theft of personnel property. Colleen zone 5 CT

Reply to
GrampysGurl

Reply to
Robert Chambers

Not at all - only if you keep the cat. You have a legal right to stop a trespass.

Killing/eating/hurting etc. the cat will contravene various laws; taking them to the SPCA will not.

Reply to
Bill Spohn

These aren't mousetraps. They are leg hold traps designed for animals much larger than a cat. They would likely kill or severely injure a cat.

deg

Reply to
Dewitt

Jimmy Egan quoth:

Gardeners' Supply sells a gizmo that you can put on the dirt among your plants. It's a grid of hard plastic spikes sticking up. You buy lots of them ($$) or move their placement around. It doesn't hurt the cats, but it does make the area inhospitable to them, and the idea is that eventually they become habituated to disliking the area and then stay away.

I cannot testify to its efficacy, since I don't mind cats in my garden and even feed and provide shelter for local ferals (whom I've TNRed).

Priscilla

Reply to
Priscilla H Ballou

Ammonia is a "pee here" cue for cats and dogs. Leach the soil well, then consider one of the commercially available repellents, or a mulch of something stickery like pine cones, or orange peel, or even rue (though be quite careful with rue -- it's a common skin sensitizer).

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Who told you about this? Elvis?

Reply to
J. P.

Cat shit is not trivial, perhaps you should eat more of it!

The fatal feline leukemia virus, feline infectious perionitis and feline immunodeficiency virus are spread from cat to cat through saliva, urine and fecal matter. A cat who is suffering from intestinal parasites, such as roundworms or tapeworms, can pass the eggs of these parasites in his feces. Should another animal come in contact with the infected cat's feces, he is immediately at risk of contracting the parasites. And take note, some worms can be passed from animals to humans. Every year about 10,000 children annually, for example, are infected with roundworms.

Another parasite that can spread from cats to people is the organism that causes toxoplasmosis. Symptoms of toxoplasmosis include fever, shortness of breath and neurological problems. If a mother-to-be contracts the disesase in her first trimester, it can produce cysts in the brain of the fetus. This can lead to developmental abnormalities or even miscarriage. The organism that casuses toxoplasmosis is common in raw meat and gardening soil, and can also sometimes be found in cat feces.

Reply to
Bill

Wow! Who knew? It's a miracle the human race survied to this day.

Reply to
StanB

Right Stan, disease has killed millions of people throughout history, if we didn't take sanitary percautions, we wouldn't be around, on that you are quite correct.

If I have cats that use my garden area as a bathroom, that's my problem, but if neighbors have cats that run free and dig and shit in my garden area then it becomes a legal issue, at least in my part of the world.

There is a lease law for cats here, owners for the most part ignore it, and they are too lazy to provide an area in their own yard for the cats to use. It would be easy for them to dig a small area and fill it in with sand, but no, that's too much work for them.

The way that I have found to keep the cats out is to keep the topsoil moist by spraying it with a hose everyday.

The nitwits that live next to me have five cats.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote

*snipped for clarity* | Right Stan, disease has killed millions of people throughout history, if we | didn't take sanitary percautions, we wouldn't be around, on that you are | quite correct.

Well, we have to thin out the population SOMEHOW!

*ducking*

| | If I have cats that use my garden area as a bathroom, that's my problem, but | if neighbors have cats that run free and dig and shit in my garden area | then it becomes a legal issue, at least in my part of the world. | | There is a lease law for cats here, owners for the most part ignore it, and | they are too lazy to provide an area in their own yard for the cats to use. | It would be easy for them to dig a small area and fill it in with sand, but | no, that's too much work for them. | | The way that I have found to keep the cats out is to keep the topsoil moist | by spraying it with a hose everyday. | | The nitwits that live next to me have five cats. | | Bill | -- | The Hawke

Reply to
SVTKate

As posted below: I used to use the little skewers that you buy to make kabobs with. It only took a couple of weeks and they were happily crapping all over my grass instead of my flower beds.

Since I am now a domestic slave to a feline (those who have cats and think otherwise are deluding themselves) I have learned a few things. My kitty always wants to sniff whatever I am cooking or eating. Of course I do not always humor her, but there are times when I choose to amuse her. After all, cats aren't the only ones that can be independent when they want to be.

She does NOT like anything citrus or onions or garlic. She scrinches up her face and backs off giving me a look that says "WHY did you do that to me?"

So, you may be able to grind up citrus peels, garlic and/or onions and sprinkle this concoction about to see if it helps. I read recently that a cat's sense of smell is something like 300 times what ours is.

In the past, before the bamboo skewers and Miss izzy, I tried all sorts of things to ward off cats. Pepper flakes do not work. Some snail granules (Corey's) attract kittys.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate