Question! How do I kill some unwanted grass?

Im putting decking in my garden and wish to kill off a section of the grass rather than digging it all up! Does any1 have any tried and tested ways to Kill grass so it wont grow back?

Reply to
sirutherford

How large of an area? It takes time but if you can cover the area to block light it will die. Plants can not live long without light.

Reply to
Phisherman

Will the grass be under the decking? If so, it will die. You do not have to do anything. Digging it up will not kill it.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

I find the use of salt or glycophosphate totally reprehensible. Any organic gardener would. We go to a lot of trouble to build soil and the thought that someone would poison the soil because they couldn't wait for the shade from the new deck to kill the grass defies the imagination. Why not get a sheet of black plastic to cover the area. It can't be more expensive that these numbskull ideas.

Reply to
Billy

Roundup.

Reply to
Johnny Borborigmi

Hmmm ...

I am a sinner here this newsgroup, someday I hope to become a saint through some sort of penitence. When I built my deck, I used "Ortho's Total Kill", my sin. Then I purchased some "Road Tarp" which allows water to drain and block weed growth, it is thicker than plain landscape tarp. Landscape tarp may work as well. Plastic will not allow water to drain trough. Then last but sure, just enough gravel/rocks to cover the tarp, gravel helps keep the tarp from blowing or moving under the deck. I find most little critters just do not like living on gravel.

I can just smell those steaks on that new grill on that new deck this weekend hmmmm ....

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

Pretend you want the grass to grow there!' That will kill it faster than anything.

Reply to
Laura at theGardenPages

Try a 10% vinegar solution. It works for weeds and should probably work for the grass was well.

Regards, June

Reply to
June

I'll tell you want did not work on Bermuda (Sahara) grass in the gravel driveway. 2 treatments of Roundup. Concentrated vinegar from the local hardware store.

Same grass always finds light, and grows in that direction. Will penetrate vertically 16" in a pot with drain holes without ever seeing sunlight. Will easily find light in spacing in decking planks. Will drape the circumference of such a deck.

Reply to
Dioclese
[...]

When did you apply it? Timing is everything when using glyphosate on Bermuda. You need to apply it at the end of the season, when it's sending food back to the rhizomes. At any other time, yup it's futile.

[rest snipped]
Reply to
Eggs Zachtly