Question about grass seed

Hello from New Orleans!

I know nothing about planting grass so I hope someone can answer a question for me - I planted some ryegrass in my back yard last week and it's growing in beautifully...how long before I (and my dogs) can safely walk on it?

Thanks!

Bingle

Reply to
Mister Bingle

Depending on how well it's growing, first mowing can be from 2 to 3 weeks.

Reply to
starlord

Starlord answered...."Depending on how well it's growing, first mowing can be from 2 to 3 weeks........."

This depends on the type of mower used. If you are using a cylinder mower, where the blade cuts against the sole plate, you can cut after 3 or 3 weeks, but if you are using a rotary mower you should leave it longer for a good root system to develop as the grass is pulled during cutting especially if the blades are at all blunt

Reply to
David Hill

Thanks so much for your response...but it doesn't answer my question -- can I not walk on it until I mow it in 3 weeks?

Thanks again!

Bingle

Reply to
Mister Bingle

I would *avoid* or *limit* walking on it until it's mowable, but I wouldn't worry about it if I *had* to walk on it. I walk on seedlings all the time while doing the maintenance they need (watering, raking leaves).

Reply to
Dan Hartung

Walked on them when you sowed them right? Just don't play football on it yet..

Reply to
KCnRichmond