Pruning OK now?

I have a dogwood that is growing fast. In fact, so fast that there are branches heading for my neighbors garden. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to nip them off during this season? Thanks

Reply to
noel888

Here's a pretty thorough reference.

I prune in fall or winter.

Susan

Reply to
Susan

Depends how big they are. I do preventive pruning (pinching) whenever I see a tiny new twig growing where I don't want a branch. This is minimally stressful for the tree. Major pruning should be reserved for the dormant season, in most cases.

If your neighbor is likely to start hacking at the tree unless you prune it now, then prune it now.

The bottom line: don't cause the tree unnecessary physiological stress.

Una

Reply to
Una

Dogwood is a slow growing tree. Are you positive it's dogwood? Post a picture.

Reply to
brooklyn1

The info that came with it says "Red Twig Dogwood" and its a fast grower

Reply to
noel888

Isn't that more of a shrub than a tree?

Susan

Reply to
Susan

"Red Twig Dogwood" is a shrub/bush, it doesn't grow very large. If it's encroaching onto your neighbor's property then you planted it too close to the property line.... if just planted you can move it.

brooklyn1