Propagating crepe myrtle

I want to propagate crepe myrtles from cuttings. I have done the obligatory googling and it seems that it can be done using either hardwood cuttings in winter or softwood cuttings in summer.

Is there any difference in either the technique or the results? Does climate make a difference to which method is better? My climate is a hot summer and cool winter.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I wouldn't worry, try both methods yourself. It will only cost you a little effort. Its fun to experiment and learn. Whether there is or not, I would say, going into Autumn would tend to be more successful. As in cuttings in a hot summer, (unless youre able to beat the heat by planting in a cool place,with good light, the best way) usually leads to higher percentage of failures.

Reply to
Jonno

Take some 15cm cuttings in March and put then in ordinary potting mix. Put them in a shady spot that gets water. They will lose leaves over winter and about half will shoot out with roots. I also have heard you can do root cuttings as there are dormant buds but never tried it. I tried growing from seed they sprouted but they damped off and died om me. I am just to mean to use a fungicide.

Now does your crepe myrtle get mildew or not?

Reply to
Loosecanon

Reply to
Jonno

Would that be hardwood or softwood cuttings in March?

I don't have any yet. The project is to acquire some.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

The cuttings I took were of current years growth they would be classed as semihardwood cuttings.

How many cuttings do you want? Mine is a mildew resistant variety so looks good all year around in all its different phases. Must admit it is one of my favourite trees.

Reply to
Loosecanon

OK

I want a few dozen as I have a big garden to fill up.. There are many CM street trees in the district so I will ba able to choose the colours that I like. They seem to thrive on neglect getting through heatwave, frost, drought and flood with no problem.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott