It rains under my Crepe Myrtle

I have a crepe myrtle tree, not one of the shorter varieties, and not a shrub, but a tree. Water drips from it constantly, as though it is raining. Recently my daughter moved into an older home with a HUGE very old crepe myrtle tree in the yard, and it rains under that one all the time too. It is not honey dew from aphids. It's water, like rain. What is this phenomenon? Thanks!

Reply to
Pam Gibbs

At what time of day does this occur?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

We've got a winged sumac where this happens, too...turns out that it's some small beetles that sit atop the leaves, suck moisture out of the leaves and squirt excrement all day long. It's really weird and a touch unsettling.

---Prem

Reply to
prem_s

All day long and into the evening. Seems like the hotter the weather the more the crepe myrtle rains.. There are no visible pests on the branches or leaves that we can see and reach, but mine is close to 20 feet tall, and the old one at my daughters is much taller. The landlord there says it is nearly as old as the house, and the house was built in 1950.

When I was a little girl there were two crepe myrtles in the corner of the yard where we played most. They shaded our sand box and swing set. One of them is still standing. We moved into that house in 1961 and the trees were mature then, so I guess the one still there could be 50 years or older. But I don't remember that they ever rained on us.

Reply to
Pam Gibbs

Oh well. So much for my theory involving transpiration. :-(

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Bugs. Glassy winged sharpshooters.

Common in So. California, really bad for grapes as they carry a disease.

Reply to
Charles