Never Rains But What It Pours

We've been sitting on our arses most of the spring, enduring rain and cold and itching to get things going, doing what few things we can in order to be ready when it finally breaks...

It's breaking and now it is pouring with work to be done!

I bought younger son 75 two-year-old Jersey Giants that we are going to put in Thursday. Breaking ground and the whole bit. Got us another twenty five to put in here and 50 Tribute strawbabies also. But I need to build the beds first. Not a big deal, 1x6 cypress frames on top of loosened sod, covered with layers of newspaper and filled with compost, well rotted sheep's poo garden soil and other assorted leaf molds and organic stuff.......

Tomorrow, Earth Day and my birthday, we'll go get the truck load of sheep's poo and pilfer a dozen or so bales of alfyalfa from my FIL, get starts of rhubarb from MIL, get lilac sprouts from my Mother....

The yard guy left off two huge piles of grass clippings when done and I cabbaged five bags of dried leaves yesterday from the curb.

Planted the onions for seed today, from stored Yellow of Parma. These onions are wonderful and keep really well. Many of them still have good hard skins and are still good to use, though showing sprouts inside. They are from last summers harvest. I highly recommend this variety. Need to plant this year's crop and the leeks now.

Older son is not going to be able to garden like he wants this summer, so I am taking over his space this year for mostly melons, peppers maters and taters and sweet corn.

Younger son wants us to get two raised beds up and running for them...4x80 each, plus the asparagus bed...

Gonna be fun times, eh?

Charlie, anticipating sore muscles and sunburn

"Though an old man, I am but a young gardener."-- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Charlie

It's beginning to piss me off that the spirit is willing but the flesh is getting weaker. phooo

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie