plants you let live about

See "Coquelicots" in

These are the poppies that we buy on "Veterans Day"

Reply to
Billy

Billy is about "WHAT"?

Reply to
Billy

Billy wrote: ...

no binary groups on this server. the main reason i give them money yearly. :) relatively little spam and no distractions.

for picture/definitions i look at wikipedia and find it useful enough. for most other things i tend to not click graphics/sounds/pictures/videos because i just don't have that big a pipe to get bytes through and i don't want to plug my line up if i'm in the middle of a good conversation (well, ok, clickversation is more like it :) ).

ah, well, sure, they look like that.

peace, time to go,

songbird

Reply to
songbird

"songbird" wrote

I'm in the upper midwest, prairie.

After seeing your pics, that's certainly understandable.

gasp..! I hope they don't come after me for the birdsfoot trefoil that spills out over the curb...

Those look like pinks; is that what they are?

:-)

Reply to
Nelly Wensdow

have you had any luck with hyacynths, daffodils and tulips or other bulbs/corms/tubers?

if you check the zone, some might take, but i might also plant deeper than normal to give some added protection. well of course that would also depend upon the sun/water/soil conditions as to how they would do.

i'd think that almost anything above ground would get freeze- dried in those winters...

we let some go one year to seed, and now we must weed, weed, weed. :)

they have pretty tenacious roots.

heh, it depends upon if you have local ordinances and pesky neighbors (or in her case we suspected her ex).

they are commonly called Flashing Lights, a small perennial carnation. there are some pinks mixed in there (but those are biannual and bigger leaved/taller plants). the flowers look almost identical other than the color.

i like them as a ground cover, but they are not nitrogen fixers, the soil is poorer there now under monoculture, so i am going to add some legumes to it and see how that goes as a mixed community.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Here we planted violets once (30 years ago), and once only. Now they form a carpet along the walkways and stairs, under the trees. Foxglove, nasturtiums, Lychnis coronaria, naked ladies, red valerian, Epilobium parviflorum, Prunella vulgaris, dandiloins, large leafed mustard, and of course pepper mint, and spear mint, all grow wild in our yard, and for the most part, are encouraged.

Reply to
Billy

Cleome, peonies, daylilies, daffys, tulips, muscari, lilies, dahlias, marigolds

What gets axed immed: sweet peas

Reply to
Fran

I stopped clearing the abandoned alley that is technically mostly on the neighbors property, although I maintain it.

The trees I've been cutting back turned out to include a mulberry and a walnut. Who knew, until they grew large enough to set fruit.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Ah Mulberry seems about 50 years ago me and my buddies found a heavily fruited tree. We ate our fill and were happy till someone notice a worm in a fruit. Then further investigation proved they all were Wormy.

Yucky in the top ten of my youth yucks.

Reply to
Bill who putters

I'd think that would make it hard to go back in the mulberry patch!

No doubt the reason why, with all those fond memories of being a kid, we don't do kid stuff anymore!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

We have a native milkweed and a few others purchased here.

Reply to
Bill who putters

In the front I have Queen Anne's lace that I protect from my gardener (she would root them all out). In the back I have hollyhocks finally and picked a load of the babies out of the gravel and put them into pots standing in water and they all came thru. going to take them to our rental and start a whole line of them. I would LOVE milkweed but cant find plants. Ingrid

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 14:01:24 -0400, Bill who putters wrote: Have anything about you sentimental about? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo