"Perfect" lawns are hideous

You're obviously not one of the stupid people, Ms. P. As far as informing people, the information is readily available through any of the news media intended for adults.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

On every bag of pesticide, which also includes herbicides there is a WARNING or DANGER on the label. My sister in law figures if she doubles the amount of Roundup she dilutes in the water it will kill better. Clearly it tells people NOT to change how much you dilute, and its probably even an unlawful act in some municipalities.

There is nothing I own which I didn't read the manual. If I read the manual for a radio, wouldn't you think I would also take a gander at the pesticide label? Didn't your interest peak when you put it out asking yourself, gee how much of this goes out on the lawn. How did you know how to use it? The information is out there, it's right on the bag in English.

Reply to
Jangchub

My interest didn't peak because I never use the stuff; have never put it on my lawn. If I had intended to use a pesticide/herbicide, I would have read the entire label, just as is your practice.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

So don't have one. Voila!

Reply to
Jangchub

I have in the far past lived near citys that your landscaping was a major part of the citys codes, in otherwords, if you din't have a good lawn with some flower beds you faced a fine from the city. I ran a lawn service and servered many of those lawns. Ofcourse for flower beds I'd build a line of rose bushs along some hidden watering lines. I kow of one guy who's lawn I just once a week took a water hose and washed it off, it was all astroturf and the city didn't like it but could't do anything about it.

Reply to
Starlord

They'd like my scythe-cut acre, which gets cut over a series of several days, a couple of 10' wide swaths a day as the mood to go outside and do a little cutting strikes.

The average height of the lawn is then determined by how fast it grows ; you simply cut a little every day and nature takes care of it.

I think it looks better than mower-cut lawns, but it's a hugely different style.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

Ron Hardin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com:

I put my draft horse out on mine and let him eat away. Later I finish up with a pair of mini horses for detail work. Oh, sure, I can mower cut it all in an hour or so but the horses fertilize, too. ;)

Reply to
Gemstone Rivers

Why not try doing that at a home on a plain city lot? Where you might be lucky to have a backyard that's a whole 25ft by 30ft and your front yard is maybe a little over that or even way under that?

I used to do one lady who lived a block from the ocean, no back or sideyard and her postagestamp front yard took all of 2 mins to cut with my power mower. Plus she had the ONLY green yard on the street for 2 blocks. She had it nicy edged with 4 O'clocks too.

Reply to
Starlord

My city has regulations, but they do not include a demand for a lawn. If one does have a lawn it is nice to keep it mowed even if it's only tons of weeds.

Reply to
Jangchub

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:26:50 +0000 (UTC), Gemstone Rivers

Reply to
Jangchub

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
FragileWarriorElf

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 13:05:43 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarriorElf pasture is a swamp right now after this week's rain.) Both horses are

In this photo he looks injured on his haunch, but I thought it could also have been after a long rain. He's beautiful!

not a draft. I just used two thousand as a round number in pounds. I had an appalousa with the smoothest gait and I never needed a saddle unless we were riding the coral for something special. What precious animals.

Well, if you mix it with your alfalfa hay (never coastal bermuda) or pine bedding, you continue to turn it every few days. When it no longer heats up it can be used. Be aware that horse manure has a TON of weed seeds in it and the heat does not always kill the seeds.

Reply to
Jangchub

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 22:42:09 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarriorElf ate his way through a half a garbage can of oiled oats with no problem at

Just curious, doesn't the 1/2 ton round start to decompose in the center? How long does it take you kids to eat that bale?

For gardening sake, it's not bad to make compost with horse manure and coastal bermuda, but the seeds stay in the compost, even after it's fully finished. So, just something to think about.

Reply to
Jangchub

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No, the mold is usually on the outside of the bale (if you don't get bails that were stored inside) and the horses start eating from the center. They're pretty smart, all in all, and will avoid anything moldy unless, I suppose, they're starving and there is absolutely nothing else for them to eat.

Once the bail gets so hollowed out it collapses, I torch it and get them a new bail.

Coastal bermuda isn't something we have 'round here AFAIK.

Reply to
FragileWarriorElf