OT: I NEED THE QUESTIONS TO ASK FOR SOMEONE IF YOU SUSPECT THEY'VE HAD A STROKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got a list of questions to ask if you suspect someone has had a stroke. I remember one of the things was ask them to raise their arms, I know about the slurred speech, the numbness in the legs or such and dizziness, but there were specific questions you could ask the person in question. and to answer the next OBVIOUS question........Miz Mary had a stroke today and I need to tell her yard man (who is kind of simple but better than most) so he'll know. THANKS ((((huge hug)))) madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

I don't understand what you want at all.

Was a stroke diagnosed medically, or are you trying to determine if she's had one? The best way to find out if she has is to get her to a hospital QUICKLY!

If you need to tell the yard man that she had a stroke: If she's all right, tell him that she had a stroke but she's all right. If she's not all right, tell him that she had a stroke and the doctors are waiting for her to get better.

After all, if that is all the information you have, that is all that you CAN tell him.

Reply to
Pennyaline

Jean

The power of google compels you.

is a medical emergency. Know these warning signs of stroke and teach them to others. Every second counts: a.. Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body b.. Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding c.. Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes d.. Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination e.. Sudden, severe headache with no known cause

Reply to
Snooze

I can't think of a better source of accurate medical information than a gardening newsgroup.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Google found them for me at

to Recognize a Stroke

This might be a lifesaver if you can remember the following advice, sent by a nurse, whose husband is a medical doctor.

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. A stroke victim may suffer permanent brain damage when people fail to recognize what's happening. Now, doctors say any bystander can recognize a stroke, simply by asking three questions:

  • ask the individual to smile. * ask him or her to raise both arms. * ask the person to speak a simple sentence.

If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 911 immediately, and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher. Researchers are urging the general public to learn to ask these three questions quickly, to someone they suspect of having a stroke. Widespread use of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of a stroke, and prevent permanent brain damage.

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their tongue. if the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other, that is also an indication of a stroke. You may want to pass this along.

Reply to
Andrew Ostrander

Reply to
madgardener

Doug, I apologize, I marked it OT for OFF TOPIC, and I was frantic. I went to nine sites and couldn't find what I was searching for. it was the three questions above this answer............It makes me just not want to bother anyone else on this newsgroup about anything else non topic ever again. it so happens I know there are people of all walks of life and careers and abilities that also garden and come here and I knew I'd get a faster answer.................and like I said, I marked it OT for OFF TOPIC. sheesh. I appreciate my gardening friends. and as you see, I got great information and the right answer to boot.

maddie

Reply to
madgardener

Perhaps Doug didn't mean it to come off as sarcastic as it sounded. I, too, was surprised--couldn't help picturing someone falling over from a stroke, or some strokelike condition, right in front of you and you came here instead of, like, calling 911? Also amazed you got the right answer! (Which I couldn't get to my gardening question!)

Cori

Reply to
cmashieldscapting

Your interpretation is exactly right. Is it just me, or does it seem some people cannot distinguish between physical reality and the web?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Reply to
madgardener

Yeah, but next time, just dial 911. Time is of the essence when someone has a stroke. Minutes lost can mean much more brain damage.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I'd also question the wisdom in asking about strokes in any newsgroup. It's not like the Typing 2 words in google would get you the answer. You had to wait at least

20 minutes for someone to respond with the proper answer.

importantly, dialing 911 and saying "I suspect my friend is having a stroke, can you send a paramedic here to check?" is all you needed to do. The paramedics would be glad you called, if it was a false alarm no harm done.

-S.

Reply to
Snooze

believe me "snooze" HOURS wouldn't have gone by before I'd called 911. I had NO IDEA. (and apparently she had been having LOTS of TIA's the day before as well.........not to mention all the strokes she was having before her family got up here to get her to the hospital. and even then she showed her hind end and tried to convince them to roll her out to the road so the drivers wouldn't see her horribly cluttered porch and yard.................she probably won't come home and if she DOES, it will take WEEKS to get her house where she could get thru it to be safe. if human services looks at it, it'll be condemmed.......sigh....believe me, had I realized something was amiss, I'd not been intimidated or put aside. an ambulance would have been here in minutes. we might live in the rural area but the ambulances are closer than you'd think. I just hope she's alright. this is one old woman who won't do invalid at all. it will probably kill her not having freedom to do what she's used to doing.

Reply to
madgardener

My heart goes out to the people who had to deal with this. People having strokes and being in denial is a sad thing, as I've seen firsthand a couple of times.

Cori

Reply to
cmashieldscapting

Doug.... shut the f*ck up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

No. You allow it to happen and 3 kids see it. Now, it spreads. How do you think it became acceptable in some circles to tYpE lIKe thIs? Just one album cover.....

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hi Maddy,

Sorry this is so late; here is the UVa webpage on stroke. I work with these guys; they're great.

to Miz Mary,

Callen in VA

Reply to
Callen Molenda

Doug...........I went back and looked at that post. I sometimes type words with one capital and one small (like TEnnessee) because I try to write as fast as my mind is working. I also emphasize expressions by CAPITALIZING words. Now I can understand your aggrivation at me for putting the header into capitals, but I meant to "holler" as I needed information quickly. and the searches were coming up quickly enough (I had Edward standing behind me while I was searching for this stuff.) but JEEZUS KRIST ON A RITZ KRACKER..................you must really have your drawers in a wad or yer just sick and tired of the way that I express myself. If you don't like the way I write, don't read it.

I write the way I talk. and yes..........before you shoot off your mouth, I interrupt people because I'm so fulla ideas and replies. I try really hard to not be so rude, as I was raised a fairly polite Southern woman after all, but I tend to just jump into someones conversation with me and wade thru.

If you think I'm a moron, then yer entitled to yer opinions, and I can respect that, but if you think that calling me names or hinting at my mentality is gonna shut me up, yer wrong. I'm fairly smart for a high school graduate of over 34 years ago, self edumacated on horticulture, and a graduate of the old school morals and character. Life member of Street Smarts USA and still learning after all these 53 years.

What I AM is someone who loves words, loves to communicate and share experiences with gardening, my life and things around me. If you can't stand a few grammer errors or fumble fingers, especially when I am anxious, arthritic or just tired and fulla werds, then please, get off my ass and let it slide. You actually and really believe I'm going to influence some younger person who comes to this newsgroup and posts? I think not.

Now you can kiss my monkey red ass, I'm going out to play in Fairy Holler and do some more clean up before Gloria and her sweet hubby (only the iguana's knows fer shur) come visiting me up here on the ridge after they do some scouting around for abodes.........sheesh, where's ZHAN when I need her zingers????

madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking a most incredible English Mountain that is obviously filled with blooming white dogwoods, in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener

First of all, I don't think you're a moron. A careful translation of your writing reveals that. However, you sometimes WRITE like one, which is a disservice to your otherwise excellent brains.

I guess we'll never agree on this issue. Meanwhile, since you think it's OK to mess with the language, I'm gonna play, too. Here are some lovely Cornus kousa I just planted:

Doug Kanter