OT - can opener

Something's buggin me. Rather insignificant at first. Now, its becoming a problem. Its the manual can opener. I regularly open two small cans of dog food a day, people food less often regurlarly. Use a manual can opener as I have small acreage on the countertop. In the past 2 years I've tried one electric initially that couldn't hold most cans including the dog food can in place to cut the top. So, I figured manual would be best. Some last a couple of months, some don't work right at the get-go. There are 2 common failures. The cutting wheel bends at the axis point, AND/OR, the geared friction wheel fails to turn the can. Less common during those failures is the handle cover falls off. Also, the closing of the handles goes beyond its intended closure to maintain hold of the can; twisting and bending the closing axis point of the handle fulcrum point. The only problem with the standard all-metal type is that it won't do all can sizes, at least that's what I've found.

Before I jump to the 15 dollar range for a manual can opener, what are you folks using? How long has it been used?

Reply to
Dioclese

We have an Oster electric that works quite well. Been in use about 6 months and works like new. Before, I used to tell my wife that we can put men on the moon but cannot make a decent can opener ;)

Frank

Reply to
Frank

I'm getting myself one of the OXO manuals when I spot one next. Don't know the price but it is a dream to use. Used my cousins to open 10 cans of cranberry sauce and it was painless on these old hands.

BUT - have you thought about one of the under the cabinet ones? Mine is ancient and still works great!

Cheryl Isaak

I don't remember what it costs, but I've been using Swingaway manual can openers for years. I haven't run into a can yet that challenged this tool. I got mine at the supermarket, but I've also seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond, Linens & Things, and sometimes hardware stores.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I've been using a Swingaway chrome plated w/red vinyl handle covers for at least 20 years now. It has been skipping lately which is annoying, especially hard to open small cans like tomato paste. The can slips out from the grip, and the blade may have become a little dull, but it's so darn handy.

Many cans have tab openers now. And some have curved bottoms that don't give you a second chance if you mess up the first try on top. I have to be careful not to cut myself with some of the contortions I've been through trying to pry a partially-opened lid up.

Now that you brought it up, I'll get a new one ASAP even though I have an electric one.

One of my big pet peeves is when the tab breaks on sardines, etc. Then out come the pliers and whatever works to save the contents. Sometimes I can still open them with a regular can opener.

Reply to
Hettie®

Swingaway manual can opener here, too. Has rubbery/vinyl type handle coating. I've had the same one for about 20 years. Once in awhile I dunk it in the dishpan and scrub the cutter wheels with an old toothbrush or just plunk it in the dishwasher.......still works like a charm. I think I picked mine up at Ace Hardware. See link for easy to identify visual aid...

Val

Gone through various brands until I got an Oneida. Has been working great for three years. It cuts differently than the rest. About $12.

Reply to
Phisherman

aid...

> Val

I've been using my Swing-A-Way for more than 40 years... it opens cans perfectly every time, any size, any configuration... I'm sure it will last another 40 years. I typically wash it by hand but every so often, about once a month, I remember to put it into the dishwasher, not a speck of rust on it. I don't remember what I paid for it back then, probably less than $2. Mine has white vinyl clad handles. I have a second one packed away with my camping gear in a small back pack type carrier that I grab whenever I go on a road trip.

Reply to
Sheldon

I had a Swingaway for many years, but it was wall mounted. It could be turned so it would sit against the wall when not in use -- hence the name "Swingaway" -- and it could be lifted off the mount for cleaning. Worked wonderfully. I think we left it at that house when we moved.

Target carries it, as do many other stores.

helco

Reply to
helco

I got my mother, who has a touch of arthritis, a "One Touch" can open last year. It works great. If you open a lot of cans you will need to keep some "AA" batteries on hand. I have one also $20. Just open all cans in the sink for liquids stuff. I negative part is that when the batteries get weak it can be a pain to get device off the can. All in All, I still like it over all other can openers.

& Decker also makes a hands free Jar Opener. I believe one can get these items at most department stores.

Hmmm.. I believe dry dog food is better for dogs than can dog food unless your dog has dental problems and can't chew very well.

Enjoy Life ........ Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

I have an electric Hamilton Beach. I received it as a present so I don't know the cost. Been using it for 3 years and tossed the Swingway last month. It seldom worked with my hands.

BetsyB

Reply to
betsyb

I've got an OXO manual. Been very reliable and comfortable to use.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Live near Wimberley, TX. Closest places are Ace Hardware, Dollar General, a Feed store, and a grocery store. At Ace, I did find an OXO Goodgrips model Model# 30081. Has built-in lock that locks when closing, just turn the handle to open. Price: $14.97. Unconditional warranty. Could not find any Swingaway mentioned by others. Talking manual can openers. Remainder that I've found locally are all the junk 1 buck can openers I've all already tried.

Closest big box store is 17 miles away. Not worthwhile to drive 34 miles round trip for a can opener.

My dogs are getting skittish as they aren't getting their regular canned dog food in the a.m. mixed with chew bones on the bottom of the bowl. Think I'll try the OXO model mentioned for hopes of a good can opener, or, giggles for my fruitless search at worst.

Dave

Reply to
Dioclese

Oh. I stick with manual can openers for multiple reasons. Other than the limited countertop space, I have an all-electric home. (except the bbq) If, per chance, I lose power to the house for more than a few hours, I have no way of cooking. Chances are the local area stores and eateries will close during such a dilemma. So, the only reasonable alternative is to eat out of can. That requires a manual can opener that works.

Reply to
Dioclese

I loved the OXO I used on Thanksgiving. Just buy it. Make the dogs happy.

Cheryl Isaak

Okay, got the OXO. The dogs are happy. OXO will not penetrate bottom of this specific dog food can, like the cheap can openers did. I like to puncture bottom so the dog food slides out easily. Vacuum problem.

Normally, I slide out the contents, wack off with a knife in one bowl, then slide the remaining contents into the 2nd bowl. Dave

Reply to
Dioclese

Good luck with it.....have you tried using a church key to open the bottom to air?

set of pictures)

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Ice pick or sharp, small screwdriver.

Kay, who prefers Swingaways and is still using one ca. 1973.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

trate bottom of

Same problem with Spam... church key.

Reply to
Sheldon

Can you imagine the amount of protest, if this was called a Mosque key?

Reply to
Billy