new rose garden

Earlier this summer I planted 7 rose bushes (not the climbing ones). I'm new at this. I've noticed that there are holes on the leaves that look like maybe some type of bug (beetles?) have been making. Is this a common problem? Thanks, and I apologize for the probably very simple question.

Reply to
Jenny Rizzo

Have you tried the roses newsgroup? rec.gardens.roses. They might be a good NG to join if your a newbie at roses. Rose beetle or rose weevil may be your problem but since I don't grow roses, I'm unsure.

Reply to
J. Lane

There's quite a few things that will munch on roses . . . japanese beetles are one of the worst. However, unless your plants are being defoliated or showing signs of stress, I wouldn't worry about it.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens

Thank you for the suggestions! I will check out the roses newsgroup and will not worry so much about them (they still look gorgeous)! Now if only I could get all of them to bloom together...

:-)

Reply to
Jenny Rizzo

That's not going to happen, Jenny; bloom time is genetically programmed. You can extend the bloom on any given plant by diligent deadheading.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens