my plants are lunch

HELP!!!!!!! Something is eating the petals of my petunias in my window boxes. I cannot see what it is but I can tell you my flowers look terrible. Then off to my roses. I just planted them last week and already the ants have drilled holes into the stems. These are the stems that were trimmed last fall however I am fearful the whole rose bush will be next. Any help you folks have will be appreciated greatly. Thank you, Betty

Reply to
Betty

What area of the country are you in?

The pests vary by region, the best source of information is probably your County Agricultural extension service.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Tompkins

This is -not- the work of ants.

The usual suspects are several species of wasps.

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

As I said, this is the work of twig boring wasps. They eat their way into the cane and lay their eggs in it. I've watched them do it. BT is useless against them.

Sealing the end of the newly cut cane with Elmer's glue will deter them, so will carbolated vaseline. (it's available at any drugstore.)

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col