Manual removal of unclean lawn edges and weeds?

Hi,

I am a city person and never had a lawn. I have one now and the lawn edges around the house look unclean. My neighbor let me try his string cutter (with a battery and strings) but I had troubles with it.

Is there anything that I can buy that is manual, without battery and strings to put in?

And who sells it? I appreciate any pointer.

Kindly,

Helen

Reply to
HelenMayer5555

get you started

Reply to
kzin

I use my Weedeater turned on its side and walk backwards. The Weedeater is held such that the string is always held vertical. I've seen wheel attachments for Weedeaters but it is not necessary. I picked up this technique in LA done by Mexicans who are the artists of landscapers.

Reply to
Phisherman

I'm not clear on whether this is grass that is against the foundation or that is abutting paved areas such as sidewalks and driveways. Around the foundation I agree that a weed-whacker (the string thingy) of some sort is the easy way to go (well, assuming that a flower bed and foundation plantings is not an option)--it won't damage itself or the concrete if you accidentally hit it where a steel blade can do both. Around paved areas a purpose-made edger with a steel blade and a guide that rides on the edge of the pavement is going to work better. Both weed-whackers and edgers are available as corded electric, cordless, and gasoline powered (or were last time I went shopping for one).

Doing it manually, a set of grass shears, sold as such at garden, hardware, and home improvement stores will do the job around the foundation (you'll also be wanting knee pads), around the paved areas a "half moon edger" from the same sources will work (most of them need to be sharpened when you get them--you'll need a file or a grinder for that).

Reply to
J. Clarke