Magnolia question

What is this suggestive looking growth on my magnolia tree?

tree is about 12 years old and growing at about its northern limit.

It flowers well in the spring but this is the first time I have noticed this structure.

BeeCee

Reply to
BeeCee

That's the fruit (not edible). When it matures, the scales will spread. Seeds will be inside.

Reply to
David E. Ross

tree is about 12 years old and growing at about its northern limit.

It flowers well in the spring but this is the first time I have noticed this structure.

BeeCee

Reply to
Karl L. Wuensch

I Live in Wisconsin, I just stared growing one of these from seed..........

Reply to
Brian and Michelle

Reply to
beeky