Locust trees

are all members of the locust invasive? I recently bought one at a local garden shop, but now am wondering if should cut my loses and ditch this tree.

thanks

greg

zone 8b

Reply to
gman

I have both honey locust and black locust trees in the woodland area of my property. While I get the occasional sapling volunteering in my beds, it isn't a big problem. The saplings have thorns, so you have to be careful removing them, you can't just grab and pull. A tree that has become invasive for me is the Paw Paw. It sends up suckers every few feet. It you don't keep on top of it, you quickly develop a thickets of small trees.

Reply to
Vox Humana

For land managers/conservation biologists, the term "invasive" has a fairly specific meaning. Honey locust, black locust, and pawpaw (referred to in another reply) are all native to the US. If you live within these species' native ranges, then the trees are not invasive where you live. If you live in parts of the US where the trees are not native, then they may in fact be invasive. ... The horticulture industry is one of my greatest headaches. Not all garderners or horticulurists create problems (I am one myself), but goodness! the few that do move exotic plants around the globe.... Please check whether you live within the native range for the tree you have. If you don't, please kill the tree and any of its seedlings that you may know of. On the other hand, if the tree is native to your area, I hope you enjoy it and encourage you to simply treet the seedings as weeds. Locust trees can be beautiful and the honey bees make from their blossoms is nothing short of a gift from God. ~norm

Reply to
Norm Leonard