Everest Azalea

We planted an Everest Azalea in late May/early June in a location where it receives sun until about 3 pm on a summer day. It never did much over the summer and it has some brown leaves. What should I be doing with it now that we've had our first hard freeze? What about in the spring?

We live in Zone 5.

Thank you.

Carol Gravelle

Reply to
Gravelle

According to the American Rhododendron Society, this plant is only hardy o -5F. That would put in zone 6b. Zone 5 is from -10 to -20F. That means that is will probably be rather short lived unless you can provide a microclimate that helps push the zone.

this point, I would put down a good layer of mulch and make sure that it is evenly moist over the winter. An antidessicant spray may be helpful. It is suppose to be evergreen. Are the leaves really brown or are they changing to a bronze color? My evergreen azaleas will turn dark in fall and then green-up in the spring. If they turn brown and the leaves are brittle, then they are dead.

Reply to
Vox Humana