Indoor hydrangea to outdoor?

I received a blooming hydrangea as a hostess gift, currently sitting in a window getting as much light as it can. Can this plant be moved outdoors? I figured either I could set it out on the porch and get it "hardened" a bit, and then plant it; or I'd have to wait until spring.

I live in the Pacific NW, Sunset zone 5.

Reply to
Claire Petersky

It might survive. My Hydrangeas are just starting to bud out. Watch out for slugs.

Reply to
Travis M.

It might survive if I plant it now?

Nothing like spending a nice wet spring morning, picking the slugs out of the garden. My husband thinks I'm nuts, but I put them all in a plastic bag and then stick them in the freezer for a humane death. He says they don't have two neurons to rub together, and I shouldn't be so merciful.

Reply to
Claire Petersky

Most florist forced plants that are normally outside plants do not do well when planted out doors. On the other hand what have you got to lose? It won't do well inside either.

Reply to
Travis M.

That was my thought a few years back, "what do I have to lose?". Hydrangea has been blooming every year since. Was a blue one but now mostly pink due to the acidity level.

Reply to
ronm