how to keep Japanese maple from growing taller?

I have a Japanese maple with red leaves. It is about 3 feet tall. However, it seems to be inching taller slightly each year. If it grows much taller, it won't look good in its location. Is there a way to keep it from from growing taller?

Reply to
peter

Rather than prune the poor thing into oblivion, it'd be best to have to have the right one planted in the first place. The people who planted our Japanese maple clearly thought it'd be a dwarf variety, based on where they put it. Now it's taller than the house.

Reply to
Claire Petersky

In reality there is no way to keep a plant from not growing taller than it is designed to. The best thing you can do is have it moved, though it could be to large to move ans the only thing you can do is cut it down and use it for firewood. My personal pereference is that you should never plant trees next to a house. Chuckie in the frozen north, zone 5

Reply to
Chuckie

Don't cut it down. The OP said it is only 3 feet tall. You can easily transplant a tree that size. I don't think there are any varieties of Japanese maples that will stop growing at 3 feet. If it is a dwarf variety, you may have to resort to bonsai techniques to keep it that small.

-al sung Hopkinton, MA Zone 6a

Reply to
Alan Sung

Just digging it up and putting it in the biggest plastic pot you can get at Home Depot will stop its growing almost immediately. Then just light trimmings each year, a bit of a hair cut to keep its shape.

I have one 6' tall I did this to four years ago and it hasn't grown more than 6" in that time. Pot is about 2' tall and 2' around at the top, plain terra cotta looking plastic pot. You just have to remember to water it regularly if you aren't getting much rain - once or twice a week but make sure it isn't too much. If you don't mind watering it more, Mountain Maples has a really cool pot for Japanese maples...

John

Reply to
Tex John

What?!..Height control is the easiest thing to do in the garden.. without pruning..Google it then try it your way. You'll be surprised..Mechanical height control... But I agree. Plant the right plant in the right place the first time.(ie, Crape Murder)

Reply to
KCnRichmond