Unhappy Hydrangea

Early this spring, I received a potted hydrangea as a gift. After its blooms faded, I planted it in the garden in a fairly shady spot. However, it has not seemed very happy, and has developed yellowed leaves and brown spots. (See photo at

) Any suggestions on how to make this hydrangea happy again?

-F

Reply to
Fleemo

Your hydrangea may be a bit confused as to what season it is and now it may wnat to go to sleep until next season. There is a good chance that it was "forced" into bloom artifically, The picture does not look all that bad. You can give it a light application of balanced fertilizer 10-10-10 or similar. But don't think that fertilizer is better. If you have already fertilized it, don't fertilize more. Hydrangeas like water, make sure it doesn't get bone dry. Give it some time and next year it may be great for you.

Wil

Reply to
Wil

It doesn't look too bad; it just looks like it needs a little plant food. I don't grow Hydrangeas but my neighbor does and she says that she feeds them about once a month with Miracle grow. Here are some pictures of her Hydrangeas:

Bill R

Which zone are you? A fairly shady spot in Taxes is equavelent to full sun in Maine.

I think you didn't water it enough. In the photo, there are dry clumps of dirt. A fairly shady spot shouldn't have these type of soil.

Don't fertilize. It may kill your plant in the summer heat.

Overall, your plant looks OK.

Reply to
Karen

Thanks everybody for the input.

I'm in Zone 9. The garden is on a drip line, so the dirt doesn't always look wet on the surface, but hopefully the roots are getting enough moisture.

Hmmm, fertilize, don't fertilize. A guy could go nuts tryin' to figger this stuff out. :'

Again, thanks for taking the time to offer up some advice. :)

-F

Reply to
Fleemo