ID this tree/plant/whatever (pic)

Several of these are popping up randomly in my yard. They are deciduous and grow very fast, like a few feet per year. What is it?

Doug

you can find matching pics.

-Jason

Reply to
Lucky

Reply to
told2b

Best removed when first sprouted as they develop hellishly persistant root systems which relentlessly resprout.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I vote for sumac.

Reply to
glenon

Looks like sumac....

Gloria

Gloria

Could be. The OP should look at the leaflets. Sumac has toothed leaflets, but the ailanthus has only lobes at the bottom of the leaflets. Another common name for ailanthus is Chinese Sumac and I always remember it as the Tree that Grows in Brooklyn.

Reply to
told2b

Looks too bushy for walnut.

Reply to
James

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but they pop up all around here. I consider it a nuisance plant although the leaves get pretty in the fall.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

The only good thing about sumac is if it's Staghorn Sumac (the kind with the points of the plant are covered with berries), it makes great pink lemonade! and high in Vit. C.

Reply to
glenon

It looks a little bit wrong for smooth sumac, but I can't say exactly how it looks wrong.

I have smooth sumac against the south side of the house, being a lightweight tree. Its disadvantage is that it dies and/or breaks sort of randomly, but it gives a nice screening shade pattern in the summer. It sends up all sorts of shoots except where you'd like some more. Lawn mowing takes care of them in short order.

Some of the trees have berry bunches that last into the next spring, where early Robins and late Cardinals get them.

When they mature, they're pretty tall and leave the lower altitudes leaf-free, so you get a nice old-growthy forest in a few years.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

My nom-de-plume is also Doug. No problem, Doug.

(Henceforth), - Dougie.

Reply to
doug.