honeysuckle

Is there a honeysuckle that can be grown in the Puget Sound area that does NOT get mildew? I really want to get more humming bird attracting plants going on my balcony.

Val

Reply to
Valkyrie

Are you looking for a vine type or shrub type? Halls japanese honeysuckle(vine) is more resistant than other types, and goldflame is the most succeptible. If you are looking for the shrubby kinds, arnold red is a good choice, it is resitant to aphids and has pretty good powdery mildew resistance. Try a tropical hibiscus on your balcony, they attract them and you can leave them outside during the warm season. Bring them in when it starts getting below 50 at night.

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

The dutch honeysuckles, Lonicera periclymenum, have never gotten PM in my garden, but I'm wondering how suitable they are to container growth - they may be overly stressed by attempting to confine a rather large and rampant vine with a big root system to a small (relatively) container. Any honeysuckle is liable to contract problems under these conditions.

You may want to try a hardy fuchsia or Phygelius (Cape fuchsia) as a balcony container plant. Both have very long bloom seasons, extermely attractive to hummers and are more easily grown in a container than a large vine.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
pam