Fern Question

Last March I rescued this fern from the alley that had some life in it. I really only wanted its plastic pot but thought I'd try to bring it back. I repotted it into a larger container and when the weather got nicer, placed it in a spot that doesn't get too much sun.

Anyway, the leaves were mostly green with burned brown tips. After the entire summer so far in that spot this fern hasn't grown or even tried to recover. It still looks the same. I'm starting to think that it's dead even though its still mostly green. I've never had luck with growing indoor ferns even though they're supposedly one of the easier house plants to care for. Now I'm wondering if perhaps I should have cropped the leaves that had brown tips to stimulate some kind of growth. Does anyone have any tips for getting these things back to normal?

Right now I'm thinking of ditching this fern after the summer when the plants have to come inside for the winter. I have another plant that could use that pot but it would be nice if I could get this thing to recover.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@chi.news.speakeasy.net:

Sometimes 'burned tips' are actually the spores through which ferns reproduce. Look closely.

Reply to
David Bockman

IF the pot doesnt have a hole in the bottom, repot it in one that does. USe fresh soil. Salt build up in the soil can cause brown tips. ONce you get it in a pot with a hole, give it a shower EVERY DAY. You can never over water a fern (if the pot drains correctly). I ferilize mine weekly. IF its rootbound you might divide it. Just take a knife and cut the crowns apart (Cut into quarters works for me)

IF its a Boston Fern get it out of the sunlight.

Growing a fern in winter is a bit harder. I find that direct sunlight behind a window is needed. THe winter sun is just not strong enough to penetrate into a room. and never ever let the root ball go dry. I put a big bucket under mine (my wife loves me) so I can continue with the drainage. Some people mist their ferns but I find it is just too little to do anything.

Reply to
Jmagerl

I have had more than limited success with covering the soil with duff, using a drip carton, and the simultaneous~ cocktail of water and sunlight (not very frequently).

Reply to
Mike