Help identifying tree

I have this tree near my house and don't know what kind it is.. I am getting concerned that it's too close to the foundation of the house... Any help would be appreciated...

Brad

Reply to
bradandmarcia

It is planted too close to the house. Tree really require at least 10 feet from houses and like structures.

Just my thoughts.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

Just a guess but it sure looks like Chanticleer flowering pear to me.

If it's flowering pear I'd not be too concerned about it being too near the foundation so much as if it grows much taller it will damage the roof. It's still fairly small, I would move it.

Reply to
Sheldon

Awesome input... I greatly appreciate it.. I have never attempted to move a tree before.. The trunk is larger than my hand can fit around.. How would I go about moving it.. I mean... like how far should I dig out around it, I guess how much roots should I get?? Should I trim it down some before attempting to move it?

Looking at the specs of a mature width of 15 feet... this would be a real problem with the house where it's at... I was thinking about chopping it down, but I'd love to move it.. it really is a nice looking tree.. I'm just wondering if i'd be able to successfully move it without killing it.. I'll have to get the utilities marked because I know my gas and water lines run around there... that's the other thing, it might be easier to cut it down as low as I can, I'm assuming that would kill it... Thanks Again.

Reply to
BradH

There are machines that can easily scoop that tree out with root ball intact but it's a big job to dig out that tree by hand, you will definitely need a few strong backs... and it's in a difficult spot so close to the walk. But if you have people to help you can give it a shot. First prepare a place where you will replant it. To remove the tree you will need to dig a trench all around the tree beginning at as wide a diameter as the tree crown or as wide as possible... the root ball will be heavy, you will need help to lift it onto a wagon so you can transport it to its new location.

Flowering pear is not a very expensive tree but still it would be a shame to kill it. If you don't feel you can move it then you can probably leave it there... it looks to me that it's been kept well pruned over the years... with diligent pruning you should be able to maintain its present size. And before doing anything check at a local nursery to determine exactly what kind of tree you have, I'm only guessing it's a standard flowering pear... it could also be some other kind of tree, perhaps crabapple, maybe some dwarf/semi-dwarf variety.

Reply to
Sheldon

Yeah, I might call to get a quote from a local company to see what the cost would be to have them come out with a machine... I really need to get my utilities marked before I seriously consider moving it.. Yeah, I hate to destroy my grass, etc.. but it is a really pretty tree..

Yeah, I agree it would be a shame to kill.. Yeah, I usually prune it several times a year, mainly to keep it off of the house, out of the gutters, etc.. I didn't know if I kept pruning it to prevent it from growing if this would hurt the tree... glad to hear it probably won't.. Yeah, I really am thinking it either a crabapple or a flowering pear.. See, I thought for a while it was a bradford pear, but the Chanticleer pictures look more like it with the red, etc... it does flower white like a bradford, but not at the same time as my neighbor's bradfords do.... Thanks again for more input... It's appreciated..

Reply to
BradH

You probably won't like the quote to have it moved by a nursery... they'll likely have a minimum charge to bring the eq

Reply to
Sheldon

it's just one tree. I don't know your location but regardless it'll probably be darn close to $700 to move that tree somewhere else on your property, and since they didn't sell you that tree there'll likely be no guarantee. If you have people to help you can move it yourself but figure on a full day of hard labor. And th eother thing is that with a tree that size it will be at least three years, probably four before that tree recovers from transplant shock, so there'll be no growth except for the roots.

That tree looks to me to be about fifteen years old, probably more than ten years in that spot, so for most of those ten yers someone has been pruning it to fit that space, no reason you can't continue... the tree just won't reach it's full potential, but perhaps that's not a priority.

Let us know what you decide.

Reply to
Sheldon