HEBE

I am a big fan of Hebe, esp. "Wiri Blush". Have them all over the garden.

Here's the weird thing, for example: Three in a bed; two will die and the other flourish. Has happened several times. They all get the same conditions. This happens sometimes a year or two after planting.

Can one plant be inherently "feeble" and another not?

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

:-)) I'm a big hebe hater. I don't know why I dont'liek them but I never have done.

Can't answer that one.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

Could be. Have you considered propagating the survivors via cuttings? I hear it is easy with hebes.

Reply to
Amos Nomore

You raise a question I've been battling with.

I want to propagate a lovely white azalea that is sprawling all over. My g ardener assures me it can't be done. There are enough low-growing branches that need pruning anyway, so I'm willing to try. BUT I have never underst ood cutting vs twisting. The former is supposed to be a no-no, but why? I' ve tried to do research on-line but not fpund answers.

So I'm asking you & other kind NG members for input on cutting vs twisting, both for the surviving Hebe and for the azalea.

TIA

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

Azaleas are one of the easiest shrubs to propagate by layering. Don't prune those low growing branches, press a section into the ground and place a rock over it, in a month roots will grow, then prune and replant. You need a new gardener, one whose not really a toilet janitor.

Brooklyn1

Very exciting! Not sure I'll have room where the plant is located right near a concrete path, but it's worth a try. Now, would someone speak on the "cutting vs twisting" question. Really curious and can't find info.

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon