Greetings

Hi from New Zealand.

I am very much interested in gardening, however I am a newbie at the sport. Sport? well apparently each hour one does any gardening one loses 100 calories.

Reply to
Glen L. Madigan

is around with all sorts of neat and interesting peoples............

garden bed preparation.......I love raised beds, and that requires double digging. Unless you have hard clay and even then there is some digging and lots of building upwards and filling area with compost and soils and such. Double digging is removing a spadeful of topsoil from a garden bed, loosening the soil layer below that topsoil, and then restoring the topsoil layer into that spot. During the process, it's best to incorporate organic matter into the soil. Lavishing most of the organic material on the topsoil. Add only small amounts of compost or chopped leaves to the lower soil layer because the rate of decay is much slower in the second six inches of soil than it is in the top six inches. Double digging will raise your beds about 3 to 4 inches because it thoroughly loosens and aerates the soil which makes very happy plants later on.

if your interested and can do the hard work this requires, you'll lay down a wonderful garden bed for whatever plants you want to try. I'll elaborate if your interested. Like with a house, the foundation is the most important and then the "bones"....... madgardener up on the soggy ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking a cloudy English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener

"Glen L. Madigan" wrote in news:JKUtd.14319$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.tsnz.net:

Calories Burnt per hour Sedentary Activities

  • Lying down or sleeping 90 * Sitting quietly 84 * Sitting and writing, card playing, etc. 114

Estimates based on 150 pound (68 kg) person.

[source:
]

Calories burnt for 60 minutes at weight = 150 Preparing dinner 148 Brushing Teeth* 171 Gardening 324 Mowing the Lawn 324 Planting tree and flowers 324 Clearing out an illegal dumpsite! 450

  • so what are you saying I have a big mouth?
[source:
]

Calories burnt for 60 minutes at weight = 140 Sex* 97 Weeding a Garden 320

  • you got to be kidding me
[source:
]
Reply to
Salty Thumb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo