Found a jelly substance in my herb garden - HELP ME PLEASE!!!

lindie snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Lindie) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Were there little tiny garden tools imbedded inside?

out to madgardener!

Reply to
Salty Thumb

I did, and the neighbour denied it.

So my question still stands to anyone is willing to help. Are there any clear gelatinous herbicides in existence? I cannot find any on the net.

PS Snooze: The jelly is enclosed in a plastic bag and then in a plastic airtitght container.

PPS Sed5555: Thank you.

Reply to
Lindie

Call the cops and ask them to follow up on it. Good cops are often skilled at spotting liars and evil people. And, politely ask the neighbor not to fiddle with your plants unless given permission.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Three more years....my son's done with high school, and I can pick a new place to live. Hmmm......

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The message from lindie snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Lindie) contains these words:

The product people have been discussing in this thread is often sold as dry flakes to add to potting compost; it swells into jelly when it gets wet. So, yes, it's theoretically possible to soak the dry stuff in weedkiller solution and make it swell up. But that wouldn't really make sense in this scenario, because it would be much easier (and less evident) if someone intended to harm your plants, just to pour in liquid.

Is it possible that your neighbour is either mentally ill or has dementia? I've got both kinds; sometimes they behave very oddly (and deny it) but none of it is malicious, just sad.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

It sounds like Soil Moist, which helps keep plants watered--it swells up in a rain, releases the water in dry conditions. I just bought 2 more jars from J& P. Good stuff. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Products like Soil Moist or Water Smart are not gelatin, but are polymers which can persist for decades or centuries as pollution, having enormous molecules that interact poorly with the environment. Some such products are made of a biodegradable polymer which is probably even worse because it breaks down into chemical components that enter the food chain & screw up the endocrine system of animals including people.

The claims that they keep soil up to 400 times moister & can do away with the need ever again to water the garden are sales pitch lies of the vastest enormity of untruth. But these products do sometimes lock moisture to themselves in such a manner that moisture is no longer accessible to plants; & the product can turn the soil into a plasticized mess that rejects water altogether. These polymers should NEVER be put into a garden, though a better argument (unconvincing to me) could be made for using them for containered plants or houseplants, though I'd still worry what becomes of the container soil when it is replaced -- if tossed in the garden it'd cause harm, & what's the sense of turning perfectly good dirt into something harmful.

Here's my article on "Deadly Polymers For Your Garden":

the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Mmmm. I gotta look for one, sounds like something to put between the sugar maple and sausage tree. :D

Reply to
Pen

Oh, so you do live next to Doug! :)

Reply to
Bill

The message from Bill contains these words:

Not yet, but did he did drop that little hint about relocating.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

I'm thinking it is the plastic stuff that keeps moisture in the soil.... liken to the crystals in baby diapers.

Reply to
GrampysGurl

Must be my old neighbors, do you live in Connecticut? LOL!!! Colleen Zone 5 CT

Reply to
GrampysGurl

My SIL is from Scotland and is one of the loveliest ladies I know :o) Colleen Zone 5 CT

Reply to
GrampysGurl

You've apparently not met my former mother-in-law.

Reply to
Doug Kanter