Fence screening ideas for pool area

I am trying to find a good plant that will provide an attractive, dense screen for my pool. The pool currently has a wooden privacy fence all around it, but the fence doesn't provide a full screen because of the spaces between the wooden slats. I know that there are tons of plants that would provide a great solution to my problem in a normal situation, but unfortunately my situation is a bit odd. The side of the pool that is troubling me is extremely close to the privacy fence and there is not much room between the pool decking and the fence itself that would allow me to plant in. That side of the pool has a planting depth of anywhere between only 4 inches and 2 feet in which to plant anything in (it is a curve shaped pool).

I was thinking about trying to plant some bamboo trees to create a dense privacy screen there, but I know that even if I were successful in planting bamboo in this oddly shaped location, bamboo has a bad reputation of spreading rapidly and taking over nearby areas (like my neighbor's yard on the other side of the privacy fence!). I have no idea what plant (if any) I can use to create the dense privacy screen that I would like, given the limited planting area that I have.

Any help with my problem?

Desperately wanting complete privacy, John_John

Reply to
John John

Clumping bamboo. Bamboo is not a tree it is a grass.

Reply to
Travis

Where are you? What is the exposure of the problem area (N-S-E-W)? Is it in full sun or shaded by trees or structures?

Bamboo may be a good choice. You can put down root barrier to prevent the bamboo confined. Once a year or so you have to make sure none of the rhizomes are trying to escape over the top of the barrier. Check out this FAQ and brows the site for information:

Vox Humana