Feeding of Roses ?

Roses love horse manure and really thrive on it, but failing access to that, pelleted poultry poo is also good. I occasionally give my roses some fish emulsion but since I have so many, I just don't have the time to do that (I stopped counting when I got to 112 as I got bored). I give the fish emulsion fairly regularly to those growing in the worst spot.

Absolutely THE best commercially available fertiliser for roses that I've ever found (and which I know is also used by a well respected rosarian with at lest 4 books to her name) is 'Sudden Impact for Roses'. This is a pelleted organic fertiliser available in Australia but I don't know about whehter it's available in the rest of the wrold - it's NPK is 9:4:12.

Always apply a good mulch on top of the fertiliser using one that will rot down into useful feed for the roses (lucerne/alfalfa is good) and make sure they get good air circulation round them.

Reply to
FarmI

You're the one who has "some sort of mental disorder". Have you had your head up your *** these last nine years? Do you know what Bush's puppet-masters first called his Iraq war ? "Operation Iraqui Liberation". Then somebody noticed what the first letter of each word spelled. The name was hastily changed to "Operation Iraqui Freedom".

The war was started because the Iraqui dictator got too big for his britches. He actually wanted to do away with OPEC -- the deal made between the US and the Saudis: Those sand jockeys could cut off all the thieves' hands they wanted. They could keep women as property, with no rights and no freedom. They could outlaw public expression and imprison or kill dissenters. They could forbid practice of any religion other than the ultra- reactionary Wahabi version of Islam.

In short, they could do anything they wanted internally AS LONG AS THEY KEPT THE PRICE OF OIL STABLE!!!!

So when Saddam Hussein comes along and threatens to shake up this great deal -- PLUS he wanted to denominate oil purchases in EUROS instead of the sacred DOLLAR-- that man has to go!

If he hadn't threatened to rock the oil boat, he could have kept right on dipping his Sh'ia enemies in acid and dropping poison gas on a community that defied him. The U.S. couldn't care less what he did internally AS LONG AS HE DIDN'T INTERFERE WITH OPEC!

Case closed.

You're also more than a little confused about the "crowd" you're assailing. "America First: was a pro-Nazi group before WW II. "Hate America" is what some deluded people profess, but you don't notice them moving to Yemen or Burma.

Finally, if you're a "student of world history" one has to wonder what your sources have been! This paper of yours gets an "F".

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Oops - got carried away there. America First was an ISOLATIONIST

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Sorry, I hit Send too soon. America First was not (really) pro-Nazi. Basically they were a powerful isolationist group that was pressuring Roosevelt to keep the U.S. out of WW II, despite what was known about the Nazi plan for world domination.

[...]
Reply to
Higgs Boson

Rant rant rant, rant. More than one psycho on here in need of medication.

The Hate America First crowd is now on here, full swing !!

I simply post a query about the proper feeding of roses, and this nut starts ranting about America going to war for oil !! Now who do you think is the nut in this crowd ?

Grab your meds, take them, and then PLEASE let's go back to growing roses and other garden items !!

James

Reply to
James

With the vibes you send out, I can just see your rosebushes shrinking from your very touch!

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Hi Billy I just snipped all the "offensive political crud" LOL

Oh Billy we still love ya anyway wit' all your ramblings. You do usually stick on something good about gardening too. You are really getting the foodies set out aren't you! Do you do a lot of canning etc.? I have just gotten my tomato plants in the ground. We have had some nice days in the low 80s but night temps are still in the upper 40s. I have only 4. I have a couple of peppers to go out tomorrow, I think, and spinach and lettuce growing all ready. Zuccs for later. The boysenberries are in full bloom.

I have been keeping busy getting everything all gorgeous for a CA Native Plant Society Garden Tour which was today. I think there were at least

300 people went thru here and I answered questions and talked to them ALL. Hope you have a bumper crop this year. I do wish the rain would stop; enough already.

Emilie NorCal PS seen any blue-jays lately? Ha PS 2 I am too pooped to proof read this, so (sic)

Reply to
mleblanca

Them's bragging rights. I see just down the road from you got .9" of rain, and we got less than .2" from the last storm. We'll see how this next one works out. Last year was the second horrible year in a row for me. Like everybody else, my tomatoes were late, and then the sun went down behind the hill. I want back to back cornucopias. This year, one tomato already had two tomatoes on it, when it went into the ground, and half the others were alredy making flowers. My feeling is that nature will take its course more easily and earlier this year.

This is my first year with a really good grow light. Next year I'll need to work on my timing, as I still haven't started any spinach, and could easily use a couple of dozen more lettuce.

Shoosh girl, you're gonna have the Audubon Society kickin' in your door, callin' our Stellar Jays, "Blue Jays". Everytime I does it, some card carrin' bird watcher comes crawlin' out of the woodwork to correct my corruption of the genus Cyanocitta. Yeah, we got a momma who's working hard building a nest, carrying twigs, and anti-static cloth away. Mostly got black hooded chickadees (sp?), and a magnificent red headed wood pecker, which I thought was a Northern Flicker, but I'm beginning to think is a Pileated Woodpecker. Its call is, to my ears, exotic. We also had some large, black, birds that are 2 -3' from tip to tip. It was the first time I actually heard the whoosh, whoosh of a bird's wings as it flew overhead. We have some robin red-breasts too, but they will have moved on by Summer.

I was going to try my hand at canning last year. Had the jars and was all set, but like the rest of the tomatoes, the San Marzanos were late, and then they had a bit of blossom end rot, and the up-shot of the season was that we got a dozen serving of spaghetti sauce out of six plants.

If you have any pictures of your yard, I'd love to see them. You can reach me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, if you have any to share.

Time for me to go toes up, too.

Reply to
Billy

[...]

You're a little bit ahead of me, Emilie. My bosyenberries are not quite blooming stage but they'er getting there fast. It's going to be a bumper crop and that's all right by me. My raspberries plants are right behind them. We've had the perfect Spring weather here Puget Sound.

Will also be feeding my roses and also my tomatoes. Bought a Black Heirloom Tomato and a Russian Tomato and one other (must have a normal name lol). I have them in pots on my deck which gets the afternoon and on into evening sun. I just gotta keep these babies watered.

Started some flowers seeds during winter and some of them are doing great while others I'll have to try again. My new "greenhouse" was a learn as I/they grow adventure. My flowers and veggies go hand in hand with each other and I would miss either one of them if I had to just choose species to grow. God provided just enough space for my little home and my little garden spots with my little lawn. And then my 5 dwarf apple trees (lot's of bloom coming on!) and also my 4 dwarf cherry trees which are also full of bloom.

Got me an Ozette potato and only with time will I see the funny little taters; same goes for my buttermilk and acorn squash.

Spring is such a wonderful time of the year. Loving it.

Donna E Munn in WA Zone 8

Strawberries are something new for me this year but they are growing fast and seem to like not only where I put them but what I put them in. Havested enough rhubard for two pies but will wait for more growth on my other plants.

Reply to
Lelandite

[...]

Do you have to cover them to keep the birds, squirrels, etc. off the strawberries?

I was getting so frustrated, I built a moveable cover out of PVC pipe and netting. The pipe was cheap, but the corners added up a little. Never mind; well spent!

My strawberry bed is small (4x4) so I built the frame exactly to fit. I built it

2' high in case I wanted to move it somewhere else (taller plants) some day.

So far, so good!

Persephone

It is so light, I can just pick it up, set aside, harvest berries, and replace.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Let us know how your Ozette potatoes work out.

Reply to
Billy
[...]

Went to a great garage sell and was GIVEN as in free 2 xlarge window flower boxes. They both looked horrible as they had way to much sun in their life. Bought the right kind of spray paint and they look better then new and even match my home now. I have the boxes on my deck with my tomatoes and flowers pots. I'm not anticipating any bird problems as the strawberry are so near my front door. But then again, this is my first attempt. And my bird feeder is just a few feet away.

Billy, I'll let you know about the Ozette potatoes. They were given out free, 1 per customer, at one of the local garden club sale. It found a home right in front of my gooseberries lol.

Donna in WA

I was getting so frustrated, I built a moveable cover out of PVC pipe and netting. The pipe was cheap, but the corners added up a little. Never mind; well spent!

My strawberry bed is small (4x4) so I built the frame exactly to fit. I built it

2' high in case I wanted to move it somewhere else (taller plants) some day.

So far, so good!

Persephone

It is so light, I can just pick it up, set aside, harvest berries, and replace.

Reply to
Lelandite

Our mailbox is right near our front door.

This year we had 2 birds get the mailbox about half full of nesting material before we found it.

Good luck,

Reply to
despen

sun; avoid plating your roses where there are obstructions that create shade.Proper plant nutrition is easy and simple to provide with the use complete plant food that supplies all the vital elements needed from the soil.

Reply to
kelvinwaugh