Fat lady wellington boots

Hi everyone, I love gardening but with the garden turning into a bit o

a bog I need some wellies, but being a large girl I cannot find an that will go over my calves. Does anyone know of any big lady wellies? Thanks for your help Lilli

-- lillia

Reply to
lillia

Hi Lillia! Try a man's size, they are usually wider in the calf.

Michaela (in Canada)

Reply to
Michaela

Stomping around in your garden when it is wet will compact the soil.

Reply to
Travis M.

Does anyone know of any big lady wellies?

Another alternative: Go to Walmart and try on a pair of "men's) wading boots (for fisherrnen). If they're OK, just cut off the tops.

When my first pair sprang a leak, high up, I cut off the tops and have been using them as "wellies" for years.

vince norris

Reply to
vincent p. norris

The message from lillia contains these words:

Go to a farmer's suply shop. You'll find a wider range iof work-wellies, and even the womens sizes are wider cut than the more fashionable ones sold in shoe shops. Here, mens sizes start at 6 (37 European) and are cut more generously than womens. Or, at horse-suppliers you can buy comfortable short (ankle length) rubber boots called muckers, for mucking-out.

Otherwise, there's a very expensive French brand called Le Chameau, worn by many professional gardeners here in Europe for the superior fit and comfort. Iirc some models have expanders built into the calves .

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

The message from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

oops, forgot this

click on the vierzon boot to see the calf-gusset close up

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Whadda know!!!

Those are actual boots that you wear!!!

Was wondering if "Fat Lady Wellington boots" was some sort of common name for pitcher plants.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

Hi Janet,

Le Chameau actually offers calf sizes over a fairly wide range, but only in the upper end of the line. I'm difficult to fit in wellies for just this reason, and recently tried some of the high end models. Too rich for my blood -- I think the St Hubert was over

200 EU -- but leather-lined and everything, they were very, very comfortable.

The good news is that they are practically indestructible. I've had my (low end) Chameaux for perhaps 12 years, they're still OK except for a tiny leak somewhere that only shows wading a stream, or in the peat bog. Anyway given the cost of replacement, I'll live with the occasional wet foot.

Apparently at the factory store (in La Ferté Macé?) they are significatly discounted, if the OP is likely to be in Normandy any time soon.

-E

Reply to
Emery Davis

Hardware stores often carry boots intended for sloshing around in wet basements. Usually bright yellow so the drowned worker's body can be found. :-) These boots tend to be rather large in the calf.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I am new to computers and to this site, that's why I am replying years later to your comment wall. You would absolutely destroy the "wellies" completely to cut off the tops in my opinion. The better option is to turn/fold down the tops of "wellies".. I done it along with many other's in my Country and it did the job 100%.... I even know of a few Ladies who got Dunlop Mens or Boys wellies one size bigger and again turned down the tops... & they can act as a "fashion statement" to add to it too.. You don't have to turn down the wellies that much either around 2 - 2 1/4" is what I only had to do !!!

Reply to
John Farmer