Elicheer Daffodils

My daffodils are in full bloom at present having started about 6 weeks ago. They are filling the air with amazing perfume and are growing strongly looking really good. To the best of my knowledge my climate zone would be

9a based on minimum winter temperature, it is winter here now but so far it has been quite mild. Many references say they are suitable for zone 3-8, although some say up to 10. Summer here can be very hot with 35C (95F) maximum common and 45C (113F) possible at the extreme.

When do they bloom in colder areas?

What effect might the temperature have on them?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Here's my take on daffodils. They are hardwood woodland flowers, as such they must develop and flower before the canopy fills in. They are among the first (if not the first) to flower and seem to last until the first bit of prolonged warmer weather. I don't recall seeing them being affected by frosts.

Your variety may be acclimated differently, but that is what I know about the wild types.

From my observations in 7b and 5b.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff

I have several varieties of daffodils and other narcissus in my garden. They bloom quite reliably every year, late winter or early spring. These include 'Mt. Hood' (classic daffodil flower but white), 'Spencer Tracy', 'February Gold' (but sometimes blooming in January), 'Tete-a-Tete', 'Soleil d'Or' (very fragrant), and 'Peeping Tom'.

However, I have not been successful with 'King Alfred', the classic yellow daffodil. They never seem to come up a second year.

Once, I forced 'Paper White' indoors in a bowl of coarse sand (almost pea gravel). They were quite nice. While the foliage was still green but the flowers had faded, I planted them in the garden. Some 30 years later, they still produce abundant foliage; but the flowers are always stunted and misshapen. I've tried removing them, but there always seem to be some small bulbs remaining in the ground. My 'Soleil d'Or' had the same history but bloom very well.

Climate: California Mediterranean Sunset Zone: 21 -- interior Santa Monica Mountains with some ocean influence (USDA 10a, very close to Sunset Zone 19) It's now summer, with temperatures in the 90s (Fahrenheit). We can expect some days over 100 in the next 2-3 months. While we get some night-time frosts in the winter, I've seen killing frosts only twice in

36 years.
Reply to
David E. Ross