Daffodils From Seed?

Yesterday I collected quite a lot of daffodil seeds. As I have always understood that daffodils are propagated from bulbs, are the seeds sterile? If not, when should I plant them (now, or next Spring)?

The bulbs that I planted several years ago all came from the Home Depot (the white and yellow varieties). They've been flowering and multiplying quite well ever since. This is the first time I've noticed the seeds, however, because I've been giving thought to digging up the bulbs after the stalks turn yellow to redistribute the bulbs throughout the garden.

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
John

John,

It is much better to remove the daffodil flowers after they bloom. That way the seed pods will not develop and the foliage will help the bulb develop (and multiply). Letting seed pods develop takes a lot of strength away from the bulb and you will likely have far less flowers the next season.

And to answer your question about the seeds: If the flower was pollinated the seeds will be fertile BUT each seed can produce a different plant (bloom) from what you saw this year. It takes about 5 years for the seeds to produce a blooming plant. This FAQ has some good information about daffodils:

Bill R

The real issue here is whether propagating your daffodils from seed will result in the same plants you already have. I'm not 100% certain, but I think that daffs can be cross pollinated, which means that you're likely to get an entirely different daff. If that is the case, there's no point in letting the flowers go to seed, as it just takes some of the plant's energy that would be better used to send back to the bulb for next year's flowering. If daffs do indeed cross pollinate, propagation from the "baby" bulbs will result in the same plants as the adult, tho it may take a few years for the plants to mature and flower.

Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Reply to
Plant Info

My goodness, I had no idea that daffodils had such an ardent following.

I think I'll plant a patch with the seeds that I collected anyway, just to see what happens. The daffodils have been successful in my yard without any input from me (beyond their original planting), so what the heck. Unless the results are butt ugly, I'll keep them and call it "variety." I'll report back in 5 or 6 years.

Thanks!

J.

Bill R wrote:

Reply to
John

I dug up some daffodil bulbs, in that we are having some shrubs removed and wanted to save the bulbs and replant them in the back yard. Perhaps this is a silly question ~ but will I find seeds within the bulb?

Truly, I did not know one could plant daffodils from seeds. Also when I do replant them, should it be in the fall? I have my bulbs in a paper bag where it is dark. They are cut close allowing the root to be inserted in the ground. Thanks. Bette

Reply to
Bette