Hosta from seed?

Hi,

Last winter I collected some hosta seeds from the garden and planted them in a covered seed tray under lights. I read somewhere that these plants don't come true from seed which is what I'm looking for, something different.

The seedlings are now about an inch tall with 2-3 leaves. They've been that way all summer. Some of the plants are dying back.

I notice that my outdoor hostas stop growing mid-summer and don't start any new leaves until the next year.

I've put one of the plants in the fridge for a month and my plan is to take the plant out pretty soon and see if it sprouts new leaves.

I'm not sure the plants need cold or if a fridge is cold enough. I could use the freezer. I'm not sure about how long the keep the plant dormant.

Anyone have any experience with hosta seeds?

Reply to
Dan Espen