Planting adopted daffodils

A friend gave me a box full of daffs that he dug up in his yard while he was clearing out an area. I know that Fall is the best time to plant daffs, but I can't plan that far in advance. By that time I'm usually sick of taking care of the garden. : ) Since I'm in planting mode right now, I'd like to get them right into the ground. Do you think they'll do well? Should I cut off the green tops or leave some on?

Thanks.

Reply to
Doug

No expert here but I would plant them and leave the green on them. If you do it quick enough maybe they won't know they were moved. Maybe add some bone meal or bulb fertilizer. MJ

Reply to
mj

Agreed. Odds are very strong that the bulbs have enough energy to make it a year with less than an optimal amount of growing time.

Reply to
Dan Espen

we need more information.

if they have been kept moist and have roots/dirt still on that is the best. leave the green stuff on and get them planted ASAP. water in well. they will likely look sickly and then die back as is normal for this time of year, but you might still get some flowers this way.

if instead they have no roots/dirt left on or the roots have been dried out and are dead then chop the leaves off. they won't be doing anything other than sucking moisture and nutrients from the bulb until they figure out they should be dead.

in the second case, it is better to not plant them right away until they have cured (the leaves have all gone brown and come off easily). however, if you have a lot of them and don't really care if every single one makes it then plant them all and some will likely be ok. if you only have a few and each is precious (different variety or whatever) then it is better to cure them and plant later in summer.

fall/late fall planting is ok, but if you can get them in the ground mid-to-late August through September that gives them more time to get going for next year. many people don't put them in because they aren't available or want the space for something else... i find many bulbs already sprouting roots and sending up a leaf for next spring by this time of the year.

this all said, they are being interrupted during the critical stage of their growth cycle so it may take next year's growth before they will bloom well again two springs from now...

good luck, :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Songbird,(and MJ and Dan),

Thanks for the responses.=20

They've been out of the ground for a few days already and the dirt on the= roots has dried up and is falling off. I planted some yesterday. My friend= did give me a LOT of them, so if I can get them into the ground tomorrow, = I'll take my chances that way. If I don't get to them and have to wait any = longer, maybe I'll take your advice and cure them and plant them later.

Thanks again.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

I've broken all the rules about transplanting and planting and very seldom lose any plants. Have at it. I'd leave the leaves on and water in well.

Reply to
Nanzi

If one has a bunch a plants you can just make a small ditch and cover them. I forget the technical term but it works. Just a temporary fix maybe up to a year.

Reply to
Bill who putters