Deer

Any tricks, sprays, etc. other than shooting them or fencing them out. I can't keep them out of my flower beds and stop them from eating my shrubs.

Reply to
risky

Dogs, wolves, puma.......these seem to keep deer out of the garden. Have yet to hear of a spray or "trick" that really works. There's supposed to be some water gun type sprinklers with motion sensors reported to work

Reply to
Val

Even shooting them is a temporary measure. More will arrive shortly. Fencing is really the only way, and even then, many towns won't let you build a fence over six feet high. Mature deer will laugh at a six foot fence.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Netting works. You can either install as a fence, lay over vegetation or in front of vegetation. Deer don't like to mess with it. Apparently laying in front of a flower bed will keep them away as hooves could get them tangled up. I'm trying over an ivy bed and bed seems to be prospering. Deer are browsers, just walking around like yard is a salad bar. Winter is toughest time as they run out of things to eat and may have to get at plants where annoying netting is in place. Frank

Reply to
Frank

I am no longer plagued by squirrel. They don't even come near my garden..

I think it might work for deer.... You will need a bigger gallows, tho..

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
AndyS

ROTFLMAO!

Reply to
readandpostrosie

readandpostrosie

Andy, your post got me thinking. I've been wondering how a deer's jawbone got under my chestnut tree:

time of year, the deer, squirrels and I are in competition for my chestnut crop and as chestnuts started to drop I found the jawbone. I believe it might have come from a dead fawn that my neighbor, maybe 200 yards away, found in his yard a few months ago. He just dumped it in the woods in back of his lot.

It is obvious to me now that the squirrels put it under my chestnut tree to scare the deer. Well it did not work - you can see what I posed the jawbone next too under the chestnut tree ;)

Frank

Reply to
Frank

This may sound totally nuts but feed em! My next door neighbor actually puts food out for the deer. His property is well groomed and has never complained about the deer (usually 2 or three daily) vandelizing his flowers. Also I found a really interesting website that has a few good solutions:

luck!

Em

Reply to
dahillpress

Frank wrote:> It is obvious to me now that the squirrels put it under my chestnut

Andy writes:

Well, Frank, if it is the jawbone of a female deer, you could be mistaken. They don't stop moving until a very long time after the animal dies, and it could have worked it's way onto your place.... If it was the jawbone of a buck, you are probly right...They don't talk much......

:>)))) Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
AndyS

Deer driving me nuts. Went after chestnuts about a half hour before sunset last night and had to chase 5 of them away - 2 does and 3 fawns. Wondering about my original comment in thread about netting. The biggest doe just bounded through it. Maybe will stop them form eating it.

I hunt deer and it does not surprise me to find bones scattered. Lost a wounded buck during muzzleloader season and a month later during shotgun season, was finding bones on way to my stand. Finally found most of skelton about 400 yards from stand,

What is weird about this jawbone is that both bones were found together. Had to be the squirrels.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

I feel your pain. They are a real pest. EAT THE BUGGERS! Roast them with Yukon Gold potatoes.

Farmer John

45N,77W
Reply to
fudge