Cutting Sunflowers

Bought a two annual type sunflower plants at a local garden shop. They are

10" -12" in height. The top flowers have blossomed and now have shriveled up. My sister spoke with someone who knew about flowers and they told her that I should cut off the top flower(s) once they get this way to let others grow in. Is this what I should do?
Reply to
Charlie S.

"Charlie S." expounded:

Absolutely. There are latent buds in the leaf joints, you'll get many smaller flowers if you deadhead.

Reply to
Ann

Thanks for the info! Will clip them tomorrow.

Reply to
Charlie S.

I have one volunteer sunflower in my bed, no idea how it got there at all, but I pulled up about a dozen of these "weeds" leaving only the one just to see what it was. I would like to save some for seed, do I just wait until later in the summer and leave the last head or 2 to dry out?

Reply to
arkienurse

"arkienurse" expounded:

Yep, that's as tough as it gets! :o)