?? cobwebs on house plants??

Hi-- I noticed that several of our houseplants have filmy cobwebs -- but they don't look quite like real cobwebs --on some of the stems. Can anyone tell me the cause and the cure? Thanks. vince norris

Reply to
vincent p. norris

You have spider mites!!!

Use a miticide to get rid of them!!!

Because they are arachnids, your usual insecticides will not work on them.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

My thought exactly! Spider mites! Nasty little buggers and hard to see except for the webs they build. Repeat applications of a mitacide may be needed.

Some plants do not tolerate spays so you should look into a systemic type (Bayer 3 in 1 for Roses would work).

If left go, untreated, the infestation can spread to all of your plants and eventually kill them.

Hemma

Reply to
Hemmaholic

Thanks to both of you. I'll get some miticide tomorrow.

vince norris

Reply to
vincent p. norris

You can put the plant in the sink or shower and wash it off, doing that three or four times, four days in a row and get them under control. Using insecticidal soap is also as, if not more effective than using a miticide.

escape

Using insecticidal soap will give you the cleanest spider mites in town!!!!!

Spider mites are arachnids not insects.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

Yes, but spider mites are listed on the label of insecticidal soap. Probably, the name "insecticidal" is not accurate since this is a mechanical, contact'icide in that it melts the protective exoskeleton and mites die of exposure, as do the other insects it is listed for. At least that's my understanding, which as you know could be incorrect. V

escape

Yeah, that insecticidal soap is supposed to do miracles!!!

I hear you can even use it to clean windows, do the dishes, chase away a rainy day and turn a frown upside-down!!!!! Madge the manicurist told me that!!!! You're soaking in it!!!!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

Oh hush up, whitey.

escape