Chimenea

My first posting as a newbie on here....can anyone advise me if it is safe to put a steel chimenea on a raised decking area.

Reply to
jacquij13

Any time you're thinking of putting something that gets very hot on or over a flammable surface, you want to take great care. You risk discoloration at best, a fire at worst. There are protective fire pads for placing under grills and fire pits to protect the decking. These come in various sizes and tend to be quite expensive. Some people use bricks to create a heat-resistant surface on top of the deck on which to place grill or pit or whatever heat-emitting device. Some people raise the level of the device by raising it on bricks or metal legs in order to keep the firebox well away from the deck.

So, you have options - but in any case, since wood is flammable, it would be prudent to keep a hose ready nearby, just in case cinders blow out or the chiminea gets knocked over.

I was passed on a highway very early one morning by a fire truck and police car. I very quickly saw the reason for the fire truck: a nearby home had a charcoal grill on its deck. The deck was on fire, and it had spread to the house siding by the time the fire truck pulled up. Since this was so early in the morning, odds are the family left the coals burning overnight, and probably a piece or two fell out and smoldered until the deck began to burn. A nasty surprise to wake up to.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan