Butterfly Bushes

The leaves on several of my Butterfly Bushes are shriveling (can't spell it). Can anyone tell me why and what I can do about it. It isn't because they are dry. Thank you.

Pixi

Reply to
pixi

I had a similar experience a couple years ago and two plants one year old that just dried up and died. I have one cutting from the same bush that thrives, grows to about 8' tall and diameter each year. I've added some smaller varieties this year and they seem to be doing well in the same area.

The only damage idea I could come up with was nematodes, because an angel trumpet, pink, (brugmansia) nearby was eaten/tunneled throughout the roots and up to the plant crown area and it became so weak at the ground level it broke and fell over. It continued to grow and bloom, but didn't come back the following spring.

I hope you have better luck with yours.

Regards,

Hal

Reply to
Hal

Reply to
pixi

Thank you for your answer. Sorry you lost your Butterfly Bush. I have a number of them, different colors. And I do think it's a pink that is hit.

I'm going to try spraying it with soapy water. No idea what could it would do, if any, but it's worth a try.

Can't use insecticide. Don't want to off any butterflies, although I don't have any blossoms yet. I'm am near Cumberland, MD. Having very cool weather for this time of year especially at night. But I'm NOT complaining!!

Thanks aga>

Reply to
pixi