*sigh* Butterfly Bushes

I've got 5 butterfly bushes. 4 of them were planted last fall. 1 is 4 years old. Due to the last big deep freeze, all of the new leaves have frozen and fallen off. All of them. On top of that, some of the branches on the newer plantings are brittle and just snap off. I pruned them heavily in early spring which is what I've done to the established one for the past 3 years. Do I wait and see what happens with them or do I just chalk it up to winter kill and buy 5 new ones?

Michael

Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

Wait...and prune in time but be sure time is long. Look for brittle to your bending. IE they break when you bend them.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Just wait it out because you will probably also get new growth coming from the crown. It's still very early in the season for most parts of the country. Where are you?

Reply to
Jangchub

I was told to cut mine off about 3 inches above the ground before the new growing season. The messages above lead me to believe that advice was wrong. What do you think?

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Jangchub news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm in St. Louis Missouri. I'll ride it out and see what happens. I'm just antsy because I've not experienced a hard freeze like this here. Makes me nervous ;)

Michael

Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

"Dwayne" news:81c81$4622c8d3$41a666bc$ snipped-for-privacy@st-tel.net:

I'm not sure which message you are refering to. When I bought my first one the Missouri Botanical Gardens reps told me to prune it very hard around the end of Feb or very early in March. I cut mine down to about 6 inches above the ground. It would seem to me the advice you got was correct. I do pretty much the same thing you do.

Michael

Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

Out here they are very invasive. Don't know about St. Louis. To be on the safe side you might want to cut off the spent flowers before they go to seed.

In regards to your freeze, they should be fine and you will see new growth from the crown when it warms up.

Reply to
Travis M.

Where are you? I don't expect to see life on my butterfly bushes until mid May.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

"Travis M." wrote in news:XrCUh.1061 $jR5.859@trnddc08:

Where's "out here"?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

I don't doubt what you say, but I question it. What are you caling butterfly bushes and where are you that it is invasive? In all my years of gardening I've never seen a butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii) become invasive.

Reply to
Jangchub

Cheryl Isaak news:C248CBAE.67D03% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

Saint louis, MO. I usually see life towards the latter part of March.

Michael

Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

"Travis M." news:XrCUh.1061$jR5.859@trnddc08:

Hmmmm... Travis, where are you located? I wonder if there is a species of butterfly bush I'm not aware of. I've never had one that became invasive. Sure, mine get really big if not kept in check but never have they become invasive. Now my bee balm is invasive.

Michael

Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

The message from Jangchub contains these words:

In the UK climate, buddleia davidii self seeds freely in the worst of growing conditions . It's common to see them growing out of cracks on old buildings and neglected roofs, pavements, and as weeds along railway embankments. They were one of the plants that rapidly colonised city bombsites during th war.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

"FragileWarrior"

Reply to
Travis M.

"Some species are commonly found as escapees from the garden. B. davidii in particular is a great coloniser of dry open ground; in towns in Britain, it often self-sows on waste ground, where it grows into a dense thicket, and it is listed as an invasive species in many areas. It is frequently seen beside railway lines and on derelict factory sites, although it is not able to survive the harsh winters of northern continental climates, being killed by temperatures below about -15°C to -20°C."

Come out this way and see for yourself.

Reply to
Travis M.

Did you read my whole post including my .sig?

Reply to
Travis M.

"Travis M." wrote in news:I%SUh.1265 $jR5.1166@trnddc08:

No. Never read sigs.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

"Travis M." wrote in news:V4TUh.1267 $jR5.802@trnddc08:

Obviously that sig thingy doesn't work.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Interesting. I never had that happen either on Long Island or down here in Texas. Maybe you have the perfect clime.

Reply to
Jangchub

Oh I believe you, I wanted to make sure we were talking about the same plant. Just because I never saw it reseed, I wasn't saying it didn't, only that I was questioning what you were referring to as butterfly bush. In the states I know of a few things with that common name.

Reply to
Jangchub