Bulb newbie advice

Hi, we decided to plant some bulbs this year so we bought some bluebells tulips and daffs from Wilkinsons. All the tulips and bluebell bulbs were singular but some of the daff bulbs had the main bulb with two smaller ones coming off of the sides. Is it possible to take the smaller ones off and plant these on their own or would this be harmful to the main bulb? If left on the main bulb would they also produce a flower? Any tips or advice appreciated.

Reply to
gary lacey

I strongly recommend leaving the smaller bulbs attached to the main bulb. The smaller ones will likely not bloom this coming spring, but they will then develop into full-sized bulbs for the spring of 2013.

The mail problem is that you must split the smaller bulbs from the larger ones very carefully. Part of the base plate -- from which roots grow -- must remain with each bulb. However, splitting smaller bulbs from the main one often leaves the base plate only with the main one, in which case the smaller bulbs die.

Divide the bulbs when they seem not to bloom as profusely as they did the previous year. At that time, side bulbs that separate easily -- with part of the base plate -- can be separated. You will also find that the side bulbs from this year's planting are already separated.

Reply to
David E. Ross

the smaller daffodil bulbs may or may not flower, but i'd not break them off. they look better when grown in clumps instead of the lone daffodil.

after a few seasons you will have a large enough clump to pull up and divide, by then you can study what you need to do. :) it's not that hard, no worries.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Many Thanks for the indepth replies David & Songbird.

Reply to
gary lacey